Force Progressive: Qoob Chip

Started by Xtra_Zero, November 05, 2005, 08:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xtra_Zero

I currently have a Qoob chip that I proudly installed myself on my GCN, but now that I'm trying to mess with VGA on my PS2, I'm running into a wall due to the extremely limited support of progressive scan.  The Qoob chip firmware allows the user to force Progressive mode on almost any game.  There are a few problems here and there but for the most part it works wonders and I'm sure they'll be ironed out in later firmware releases.  This brings me to the reason I'm here.  How does the Qoob chip go about forcing progressive?  Does it just upscan and call it progressive?  I doubt that, because if it did, there wouldn't be problems with individual games.  The other things I've come up with are a stretch at best, and I'm going to refrain from postulating here to save face :)  I'd like to know if a similar method is even possible on the PS2, and how I would go about finding out if need be...

I haven't seen it in action personally nor have I seen the code for it but it likely switches the Qoob into a progressive scan mode on bootup and holds it in a TSR(terminate and stay resident).This just means that non-progressive scan games can't switch out of progressive scan mode when they load.

As for the PS2, there are 2 methods available at the moment:
1.Blaze VGA disc - it "works" with a decent number of games, however nearly all of them will require the screen size and position to be adjusted,  and most of them will have at least one border if not two.Not to mention the need to apply different settings for different games, which is just guesswork for the most part.However if you are willing to put up with all of this it does the job required.The best way to use it is on a memory card in tandem with HDLoader, which saves you the effort of all the disc swapping required.
2.O2Mod - I have not seen this in action yet, but I have one coming in this week and will let you know how well it works in practice.The reasons to use this over the Blaze Disc are:
* No disc swapping
* Works at all times including bootup and the browser
* Screen is centered
* Possibly better compatibility - I'm not sure on this last point, I know that some games do not work with the chip but there is only one compatbility list around and it only has a few games listed as tested.

Also one more point on using VGA at all with the PS2 is that there are a great number of low res games out there, that are going to look like crap in VGA mode :) The Nippon Ichi RPGs are a good example of this.

Atelier Iris : Eternal Mana looks utterly fantastic though.

Darklegion