Dreamcast modem

Started by caphynehy, May 01, 2004, 03:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caphynehy

I didn't know where else to post this, because it's not exactly modding. http://www.revealcable.co.uk/Large/1500/aa_1564.htm
That website sells a cable that has phone on one end, ethernet on the other. Does that mean that I could plug the phone end into my DC modem and the other end into a cable modem to go online or set up a DC network?
The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.

don't think so.
probably that cable is to use in-house phone line as the home network or something like...

vheers

Endymion

Unfortunately it's not that easy. For starters, RJ45 is compatible with RJ11 because it has 8 wires, to RJ11's 4. For analogue and (believe it or not, still in use) ISDN intercompatibility when installing RJ45 jacks they just wire up the same along lines 4 and 5. 3 and 6 should cover a dual line from a single RJ11 I think, but that still doesn't cover the 8 wires that RJ45 needs. That "adapter" you have found works simply by leaving out the four wires that RJ11 doesn't have on each end.

Then you have the hardware. Well, the BBA is made to work with RJ45, for all 8 wires. What's going to happen when it doesn't have them? Also, the Dreamcast modem needs a dialtone to get going. Plug it into an ethernet network and it won't have one.

Google around and you'll find info on how to set up your computer to handle a dial-in from your Dreamcast and route an IP from your cable/DSL to it.

caphynehy

Anybody know a website or know how so I won't have to google for it?

Endymion

Sheesh, that cost me twelve seconds. But I'm not going to pinch your ears as per the don't-wanna-look laws of the forum. :P

caphynehy