About modding a 6 button genesis pad to NEO Geo

Started by Matarick, January 11, 2006, 04:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matarick

Hello, I am starting to get the supergun and MVS bug and I just got some 6 button Genesis pads.

I recall that they use a fancy chip to filter the data from the mode button in order to make the controller compatible with all Genesis games.  I am not interested in wiring to the chip since I plan to use this  Neo Geo primer to directly wire the the gamepad solder points.  Would the controller buttons work despite of having a soldered wires running on the contacts?

Here are some pictures of the gamepad chipset (this is the official Sega 6 button turbo gamepad)

genesis front
Genesis pcb back
Genesis pcb front zoomed out

Here is what I see on the back connecting to the certain colored wires

CST     UZ    DY      VS --140(I think it is one of those ground capacitators)--UJ
gray  white  blue   black

RS        BA         LX      VDD      SEL
brown  orange   green  yellow     red

I could care less about turbo functionbility since I want to have this wired to accept neo games and the componet supergun I am using was one made by D-Lite (sorry man but it went through other owners before me but I shall take good care of it) and it is wired to support Atomiswave.

Sorry if I sond like a total noob here in this post.

Vertigo

Ehhh you just need to wire the buttons direct, bypassing the chip. Don't forget to connect the earth loop on the buttons to the correct pin on the cable or you'll get this much response out of pressing a button: Bugger all.