PAL->NTSC Conversion

Started by FragZero, December 23, 2008, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FragZero

I recently bought a JVC 34" CRT HDTV ( AV-34WP84 ) really cheap, the only "problem" with the set is that it's an NTSC tv and i live in europe, so i picked up a step-down converter and hooked it up to my computer using component cables. The TV has DVI/Component/Svideo and Composite video inputs, and i'd like to connect some of my older consoles to the composite or svideo inputs.

I tried my gamecube but with normal pal signal but that gave a rolling picture b/w. When using pal60 i had a stable picture but still b/w.

I'm looking for the best (cheap) solution for my problem.

Consoles that i'd like to connect :

Snes  (50/60hz mod possible)
N64   (no 50/60hz mod, maybe pickup a US console ? Will it display NTSC with my eur games ?)
Gamecube ( 50/60hz possible)

And idea's how i could do this? i've seen the cheap ntsc->pal converters, but i'm not certain they will provided decent quality, and i've used a pci card with tv-in before, but that isn't good either.

Tiido Priimägi

You need something more complex when you want 50Hz to be converted to 60Hz... for getting rid of the b/w image, you could change the master clock in your consoles to what NTSC machines use, or modify RGB to composite encoder area a little (in case of Sega stuff).
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

FragZero

I thought about changing the master clock but i have no idea how i can do that. I think the easiest solution would be NTSC consoles, but what i was wondering, when i insert my European(pal) games, will those consoles (n64,snes) output NTSC or Pal ?

ken_cinder

An NTSC system, will output NTSC video. A PAL console will output PAL video (Be it 50 or 60hz), the only way to change this, if you're lucky for it to be that simple, is to change the crystal(s).

You can region mod a console all you want, it won't change the video output, it will only change the games that will run on it.

This is the rule, though there are exceptions, but I don't believe any of the systems you listed are one of those. This leaves you with 2 choices, look into changing the right components (Someone here certainly knows what you need to do, I don't), or buy NTSC consoles.

Your other option, that is a guess on my part, would be to change the internal workings of the TV instead. I'd like to actually hear from someone on this, if it's possible (and maybe easier, so to speak?)

Tiido Priimägi

Philips TVs should be fairly simple to be made accept all possible formats if they already don't... All reasonablly new Philips TVs I've encountered mainly consist of a TV on a chip, which accepts all common format. My current Philips does all NTSCs, PALs and SECAMs... you can even choose what kind of modulation polarity you want for SECAM :)
Philips kicks ass... at least their CRTs do.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

splatari

See if you can get a qoobchip, you can force ntsc with GCOS, it is software modable. The qoob bios screen just does pal 60. The qoobchip is a simple solder job and should be cheap buy now. you can also force 480i if providing you're not using av or svideo

ken_cinder

I must correct the above, simply because some info is backwards, and others are dead wrong.
I have fitted several Qoob chips, and own a Pro myself. What I am about to say next applies to ALL Gamecube modchips.

1: The chip will default to the systems standard video mode. 480i NTSC, and 50hz PAL (576i?). You must otherwise force a mode.

2: You don't need to force 480i/576i, they are standard, and standard with a composite video/s-video cable.

3: GCOS is not only not required on a Qoob Chip to force a video mode, the Qoob chips do not need GCOS for anything as they provide all the functions GCOS does. (Maybe more, at least on the Pro. SX users need GCOS to use cheats however.)

4: To generally correct what was said, you need a component cable to force 480p.......not 480i.

You CAN however force a PAL console to output PAL 60 or even NTSC with one of these chips, so it would be a good solution to consider. They are easy to fit, with only 5 or 6 wires on relatively (Compared to any other system) HUGE solder points.

You would simply fit your chip, set the video mode you want in the chips menu and be on about your business loading not only your originals in the video mode you need for that TV of yours, but also imports (You could buy yourself some NTSC U/J games and not have to screw around)

l_oliveira

A Wii console would give you more "control" over it's video output as some hackware allows to re-configure the video system, system region and more, comes with the progressive video output support built in (no need to  and as a nice added bonus it also play Wii games O_o

splatari

Heres the deal, The qoobchip bios 1.3 will do PAL60 when you Choose Ntsc in the configuration on a week 1 Pal cube. It will do nothing "Automatically" unless you choose automatic in the configuration. Now i know this as i've modded alot of pal cubes. The only success ive had on an NTSC TV is by using GCOS 1.5 and forcing NTSC, on the same NTSC tv i get rolling black and white when choosing ntsc with qoobchip 1.3, which stands to reason as it's just pal running at 60hz. And,,,, never had success with producing 480 via s-video, but with component? no probs.

This has been the situation with every pal cube that's been sent to me,

AHhh, forgot to mention probably the most important thing. I am referring to PAL iso/original being forced to NTSC. Ntsc iso/original WILL boot in true ntsc with the qoobchip bios if selected

ken_cinder

I was just going by what you said, you must have made a typo because this is totally wrong just by convention of display signals.

Quoteyou can also force 480i if providing you're not using av or svideo

Don't need to force 480i, and you can't force 480p if using those cables.