cd-i power cable end, replacement??

Started by horror77, January 10, 2009, 09:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

horror77

>:(  As I was playing Zelda the last time I finally gotten so pissed about the power cord. It is a Cat5 looking cable and the prog is broken off. Has anyone have any idea how I can change this out with a new tip?

Cheers

kendrick

This is a Magnavox unit you're talking about? If you know the pinout (or can suss it out with a multimeter) then you need a crimper. If you look in the Cat-5 male connector, you'll see that the wires inside are not stripped. The procedure is to take the wires within the larger insulator and then cut them all to the same length, then shove them into the connector and crimp down the clamp with the specialized tool. I'm not sure of the physics, but this permits contact from pressure only without having to expose the bare wire. Ideally, when you do it right the outer insulator is caught up in the very end of the connector for a nice, professional appearance.

Specialized tech supply stores online sell the tools, and the ends typically come in large quantities. Depending on your location, you can also get the tools and parts at stores like Radio Shack or Fry's. There are also eleventy-billion online guides showing you how to wire your own network cables, although the pinout wiring won't be useful to you. Hope that points you in the right direction.