News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Circuit bending?

Started by Paper, September 07, 2005, 03:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atom

wow spelling...
Anyways what do you think he did? Put a switch on a cartridge pin or 2? Well, whats with all the "patch cables?"
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

hippy dave

novel.
i expected it to be the audio that was messed with rather than the video - i've heard of people 'circuit-bending' equipment to achieve unique effects, but only in the context of audio hardware (synthesizers, drum machines etc) to make glitchy music...

kendrick

Maybe the screen shots aren't all that representative, but it doesn't seem like your typical 16-bit game output is suitable for throwing up on a projection screen for the purpose of expanding the mind of a raver. :) If you're going to create a colorful video output that responds to analog audio signals, you might as well rely on the old reliable Visual Light Machine that's part of the Atari Jaguar. That's a system that's crying out for an audio input if ever I saw one.

-KKC, trying not to waste his entire night playing Morrowind. Oops, too late.

Aidan

Quoteold reliable Visual Light Machine that's part of the Atari Jaguar. That's a system that's crying out for an audio input if ever I saw one.
Jeff left the audio input code in there (as an easter egg), but my understanding was that no-one ever built the hardware for it. Might make an interesting project if Jeff can remember (and is willing to tell) how it talks to the hardware!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

phreak97

saw this guy on some other forums,  he did the same thing to a nes, but the people running the event he was using it at wanted to run the 'bent' verson on one screen, and the regular on another screen using two consoles with the same game in each, and one controller controlling the two. apparently he just spliced the cable on the controller, i wouldnt have thought the controlelr would like two clock signals, but he said it worked.

but yeah, those pictures are right..

Paper

There is some "bent" audio equipment on his website listed in the auction. He did some crazy shit to a Gameboy aswell. I wonder what it does exactly, the description is a bit vague to me.
http://circuitbending.gieskes.nl/

I see he's selling a "bent" Korg on eBay also.