Trying SSF2 HDD INSTALL

Started by sakaiza91, August 02, 2014, 09:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakaiza91

Hi,
I'm trying to install Super Street Fighter 2 on a 81MB Sharp HDD but since almost everything is in japanese I'm not sure what I'm doing  :-[
  Could someone please tell me what this screen means? Does that have  something to do with that I don't use original diskettes?

Neshek

sakaiza91

I assume that the system disk is the disk 0 of the 7 floppies? I insert it but it is not recognized  :( 

SuperDeadite

If you are not using original disks you cant use the original installer.  The original system disk has heavy copy protection and can't be reproduced.  You need to manually copy the data over then use the boot files from the hacked version to launch the game.

sakaiza91

Thank you. I just did that using the "copy" command and now I can play the game from the hard drive  :)

sakaiza91

I could get my hands on an original copy. So I tried the official installation, everything went normally. The differences I've noticed is that the game starts only with the disk system and is directly in mode 1 (15kHz) which is great. When playing, I sadly noticed some problems. Some sounds are not played, I sometimes see Ken making Shoryuken without the corresponding digit, same thing with Fei Long and his Rekka Ken ... And every victory poses have missing sounds ... The only solution I've found to solve this problem is to copy the system disk of my version taken online in the directory of the game.The "autoexec" file from the Internet seems more recent (1995) compared with that on my original disk (1994) So now, the game boots in mode 4 and it does not require a system disk to be launched.
I wanted to know if someone had already encountered this problem with an original copy of the game...

eidis

Hi Sakaiza91 !

Just a friendly hint. The default CRT mode can be defined in SP200.CNF and SP230.CNF file.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

sakaiza91

Thanks eidis
I've just edited these files.

sakaiza91

I had time to compare the original "autoexec.bat" file with the newer one. If I want to have the sound set up right,
I've to change "SP2PCM=1" to "SP2PCM=4" and boot the game typing "autoexec". If I boot directly the game from the diskette, the change doesn't take in effect and the game works like if there's a missing channel in the sound.

H68k

Because the X68k's ADPCM chip only has a single channel out, SSF2's sound driver (this is a executable that runs in the background and has the same duty as the program that runs on the Z80 sound hardware cpu of capcoms CPS arcade board) has to do ADPCM mixing in software to get around it.
and the more ADPCM samples you have to down mix to one channel, the more cpu intensive it can get. it also has to share the 68k CPU with the main game excitable as well.. so a slower machine could get quite bogged down with all of this going on at once.

When I did some poking around with SSF2 some time ago, it would appear the autoexec batch file runs a program to determine the CPU speed, if it detects it's fast enough. it will enable software ADPCM mixing (so you get digitized effects of the music alongside the YM2151 and sound effects together, as apose to one being dropped for the other) so if your running a stock 10Mhz machine, you'll get the age old problem of digitized pacussion samples being dropped for sound fx and vice versa etc.

Capcom's CPS 1 board had the luxury of using the 4 channel cousin of the same chip that's in the X68k.. so it wasn't much of a problem for them on the original arcade hardware. (the CPS2 even surpassed this and had a 16 channel ADPCM chip added to it. allowing them to have even more elaborate sample based music and digitized sound effects on the go at once over the CPS 1) 

sakaiza91

Ok,thanks for the answer. 
I'm playing the game on a X68k XVI. So if I understand well, I have an early version of the game which is supposed to work for 10mHz machine?

H68k

SSF2 was designed to work on a range of X68k models, from the slowest to the fastest X68030 (this model is the least compatible with the existing X68k software libery before it, because of the '030 processer and the changes to the chip set to accommodate it)

Your XVI should be fast enough to do software adpcm mixing and run the game at the same time with little slow down. can you list what's in the autoexec file for SSF2 to start?

sakaiza91

This is the "autoexec.bat" already edited
The one I've on my original system disk is exactly the same except the 3rd line which finishes with "SP2PCM=1"

H68k

Do you have an executable file named adp4sp2 in the ssf2 folder?

sakaiza91

H68k

well.. I don't now if this is going to work, but first of all make a backup of that autoexec file.

type rem in front of mputype and the if errorlevel 3 line, then replace the %SP2PCM% with a 4.

sakaiza91

I don't notice any difference. The game still boot with a wrong sound set up if I try to launch it from the floppy disk drive with the original system disk. But the sound is set up right if I boot the game from the command line with "autoexec"... Kind of disappointing, because I was hoping to have the game to boot "keyboard free" with just a diskette...