Neo Geo Stick -> USB

Started by fuma, October 11, 2004, 02:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuma

HI,

I want to use my neo geo stick on my pc with a usb port.
Now I'm looking for a good tutorial which explains how to make an adaptor for it.

Maybe someone here knows how to make it or where I can find a tutorial.

Thanks

Martin

Look at the Saturn pad tutorial on Gamesx... then look at the Neo Geo pin out, then spend a while working something out. :P  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

kendrick

What makes this particular hack easier is that the Neo Geo pinout has direct connections to each button and joystick direction, rather than being an encoder output. So as long as your donor USB pad has at least four buttons on it, you'll have plenty of ways to connect your Neo stick input.

One suggestion? Instead of tearing apart a pad like they do for the DIY Saturn pad, put a 15-pin female connector on one instead so you can plug the Neo stick directly into it. That way you still have a funtional USB pad in the event that you need to hit buttons that aren't accounted for on the Neo stick.

-KKC, who wonders if there's a source for the Twin Stick encoder or not...

NFG

Quote-KKC, who wonders if there's a source for the Twin Stick encoder or not...
The Saturn twinsticks aren't any different than regular Saturn sticks and pads.

fuma

Thanks so far.

Yes, I want to mod a PC USB pad to use it as an adaptor for my NG stick. I don't want to mod the stick itself.
Since I am not familiar with moding pads etc I really need tutorial for beginners which explains where have to braze etc...

NFG

The first thing you need to know is that it's not called "brazing", it's Soldering.

No one can know in advance what kind of pad you're going to buy, so there's no way to tell you a step-by-step.

Go learn thirty seconds worth of electricity theory, and you'll have everything you need to know to wire a neo stick into absolutely anything.

fuma

QuoteThe first thing you need to know is that it's not called "brazing", it's Soldering.
Oops :D Thats what a dictionary said. But now I now the drifference ;)

Hmmm, I'll try my best. Maybe it it will work maybe not...

Raymond

Hello.  I was doing searches all day about this and stumbled on this forum.  Are there converters you can buy where you can just plug the NEO GEO controller in?  I have seen them for just about every kind of controller except NEO GEO?  Anyone know?  Thanks! :D  

fuma

Hi does anyone know how to do it with a Logitech Precision USB Gamepad?

I tried it, but it doesn't work.

Regards
Fuma

fuma

Oh, an why are there two D buttons on the pinout? Do I need to use both or just one?

fuma

Thanks for the link, but I still must be doing something wrong...
Here is a picture of the pad.

I tried it several times now and there are only two things working. When I put the stick up-right button 5 of the pad works and when I push start plus any other button or direction button 6 works.

I really don`t know what I missunderstand. Looks all so easy :)

fuma

no one? :(

NFG

It's really hard to say where you've gone wrong without seeing what you've done...  How about a pic with the new wiring installed?