flightstick -> analogue

Started by Ryoko, November 03, 2004, 08:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryoko

so i have this thrustmaster f-22 pro that doesn't work right anymore (bad circuit board) so i want to convert it to a generic stick with as many buttons working as possible

18 buttons + pov and x+y axis

i have basic mappings for ports, joysticks, but am unsure if it's possible to squeeze all 18 buttons the pov hat _and_ the x+y into the same joystick port

asking around in various places so far has gotten me little to no help.

any info is much appreciated :)

-Tsuki

Aidan

What system are you intending to connect it to?
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Ryoko

heh, i just want to rewire it from complicated mess via encoding, to simple no-hassle pc 'joystick' and still retain as many buttons as possible.

i tried the old thrustmaster unofficial support group, but it seems to have died :\

-Tsuki

Aidan

The standard PC Joystick port (AKA game port) supports a maximum of 4 axes and 4 buttons. Based on that, you would be able to support the X and Y axes and the PoV together with 4 buttons.

Doing any more will require encoding and a custom driver.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

atom

Chances are that the actual chip in your joystick is fine. The bad part of your circuit board is probably the buttons, from mashing them too hard or too much. Just a hint at repairing them if thats the case.

And btw if that is the case bypassing encoding wont help.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Ryoko

i get positive contact (0ohm) on all switches with minimal push effort, no flutter on reading

tested this loonnng before i attempted anything else ;o

hrm. bit of a dead end i suppose. since what i have here gives me 4 buttons, x+y, pov _and_ throttle/rudder (2 more axes(sp?))

meh, was hoping i could get a bit more than that :\

Adeptus

The other option is USB, but you'll need an encoder chip for it... got another stick with enough axes & buttons, that you want to sacrifice? :)
Or you can buy encoder chips, eg JoyWarrior.