external HD/CF reader

Started by sakaiza91, May 22, 2014, 02:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakaiza91

Hi,

I'd like to know if I need this http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:cz-6bs1_-_genuine_sharp_scsi_board in order to connect an external HDD or CF reader. Or the X68000 XVI already has a scsi port?

Thanks in advance.

eidis

Hi Sakaiza91 !

The X68000 XVI has internal and external SCSI port. Do you have the CZ-634C or CZ-644C ? The first one is without a factory installed hard drive and the second one featured 80MB HDD. External adapters are not sexy so your best bet would be to construct your own internal SCSI cable, if you don't have one, and install an Aztec CF Monster.

Here are the internal SCSI cable diagrams by Dhampird:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&media=x68000:x68000_26pin_to_50pin_scsi_cable_diagram.jpg

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

sakaiza91

Thanks for the answer.
Quote from: eidis on May 22, 2014, 04:41:40 PM
The X68000 XVI has internal and external SCSI port. Do you have the CZ-634C or CZ-644C ?
I've no HDD nor scsi cable  :( .
But I've changed my mind and I think to get a 5¼ floppy disk drive and give a shot to Xfloppy or Omniflop. I wonder if a P5Q Asus motherboard support that thing or do I have to pick up an older PC...
In the BIOS,I've choice only between 3.5 1.44 and 3.5 720 but I read in Omniflop pdf that it could work.
Also the funny thing , I thought that switching to this solution would save me some money but the majority of 5¼ floppy disk drive costs as much as a CF reader.  Anyway, I found one for 20€ and I've just bought 10 5¼ HD floppies (I never thought that I'd need such oldies  :D  in my life since my first PC was a 486 with 3.5 drive...)

I keep the CF reader solution for later. Could you give me some links showing what components I need to craft a cable (especially the 26 pin female connector)?

BlueBMW

I tried omniflop on my p5q-e mainboard and it did not work.  I ended up using an older pentium 4 with xp to write floppies.

eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

sakaiza91

Quote from: BlueBMW on June 01, 2014, 02:47:14 AM
I tried omniflop on my p5q-e mainboard and it did not work.  I ended up using an older pentium 4 with xp to write floppies.
Thanks for the feedback

Hi eidis!

Thanks a lot!  :)

I bought all that , I'll take the crimping tool at my local shop.
    Why do I need 2 26 pin connector? 
   No need of soldering? It seems easy to make.  Am I right?

eidis

Hi Sakaiza91 !

One 26pin connector for the motherboard, the other for internal SCSI backplate. There is absolutely no soldering required. You just have to correctly connect the wires and use a crimping tool, similar like with RJ45 ethernet connectors.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

sakaiza91

Hello,

Since my Pentium 4 doesn't want to boot, I'm now with an even older motherboard and Windows 98 running. So it will be Xfloppy for me.
I've 10 unformatted 1.6MB diskettes.  I was wondering if I need to format them to IBM AT 1.2MB before using Xfloppy or can I use them directly like that with the format and copy function in Xfloppy?

eidis

Hi Sakaiza91 !

Just to be on the safe side, first format them with PC, then xFloppy and then write the image.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

sakaiza91

Hi eidis!

Ok , thanks for the answer  :)

sakaiza91

Quote from: eidis on June 01, 2014, 03:10:59 AM
P.S. Make sure to tie all ground signals together.
I'm a bit puzzled about this part. Does it mean I have to do something like that?:
  Could you please tell me how to do it exactly?

BlueBMW

I've built a few cables of my own... I've not tied the grounds together and it seems to work just fine.  I just take the 26 wire ribbon and split it up and put the lines where they need to be on the 50 pin connector.  Kind of tedious to build, but I've never had any trouble with them.

eidis

Hi Sakaiza91 !

Trust BlueBMW on this one. Sorry for misinforming you in my previous post.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis