Compact - Need to replace this smd component

Started by costa, November 05, 2014, 05:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

Hi,

I am trying to fix my computers, and end up messing something else.
I damaged the component L5 on the picture. It has the same specs as L3 and L4.
I need to know the name of that, to buy replacement... also, would be possible to use non smd instead?

Schematics:

sleepydwarf

Hi Costa,

L5 is an induction coil with a rating of 10uh.
Axial versions are available like the ones in link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Axial-RF-Coil-Inductors-Kit-0-22uH-0-47-1-0-10-100-470uH-1-0mH-2-2-4-7-10mH-/251538101679?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item3a90d6d5af

Not sure on physical dimensions of those but those are the type to go for if you don't want to use surface mount type.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

costa

Thanks, mate.
I have ordered the components, now is to try to solder that small little dots on the board!
What a challenge, I have never done this.

sleepydwarf

Youre welcome Costa,

Soldering new component should be relatively straight forward, if you have soldered before you will most likely be fine.
The trouble part I found was removal of old components, especially on compact boards, pads and traces lift very easily if using an iron to remove.

The tweezers RetroRepair linked to have high praise from a lot of people and would no doubt make things easier in that respect. I myself used hot air and found that worked well for me, it was a regulated rework unit I borrowed, do not use a hot air gun.

If you absolutely have to use an iron then just be patient and dont rush it.

Fingers crossed you will get it up and running in no time.

costa

I actuall yhave on (chinese) rework station, with hot air for smd rework.
I avoid using it to remove components, I know too much hot air can actually burn the circuit board, not only components.

I will try to remove the small component using two iron solders (I don't have the twizeers, and don't want to wait it arrive).

I also think that to soldering the component back might be easier then removing it... let's see.

eidis

Hi Costa !

Just my two cents. Use a regular 15w or micro 8w 12v soldering iron and a solder wick to remove the component. The less wattage the less heat/power and less chance of delaminating the traces. 15w iron was used in the repair of Atari 130XE which is notorious for  its fragile PCB. All went well.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.