RGB Scart lead + Megadrive 2

Started by Smecta, August 24, 2005, 10:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smecta

Ok i have bought a scart lead for my modded megadrive 2.

The scart lead works fine until i switch to 60Hz Mode.

Now i get a black & white screen, its not jumping its fine but has no colors.

My TV can support both PAL and NTSC signals. I've tested it with my Playstation 2, i played a game where you can select 50Hz or 60Hz mode and both worked fine.

So what the heck is the problem anyways? I am 100% sure that my TV supports NTSC.

I hope someone can help me out.  :(

Many thanks.

NFG

My guess is you haven't set your blanking signal to RGB mode, so your TV thinks it's supposed to be using the composite video signal you're using on pin 20 (video/sync) and ignoring the RGB signals.  You're in 60Hz but you're using PAL video encoding, so the TV syncs but doesn't decode the colour.

Put another way, it's scart video, not scart RGB.  

Smecta

So how do i fix this problem?

Buying a new tv doesn't help i think.

How do i set the blanking signal to RGB mode?

Smecta

Hey....is this scart an RGB scart anyways?? This one i bought:

It says composite.......aw man....scart = scart then whats the difference between scart rgb and scart composite???

NFG

I'm going to have to assume, from your last post, that you're some sort of crack addict, so high at the time of your post that you couldn't figure out the difference between composite video and RGB.

The difference between SCART RGB and SCART composite is that one is RGB and the other is (surprise!) composite video.  

What you have is a MD2 AV cable connected to an AV->SCART adaptor.  You won't get RGB through that any more than you will connecting the AV cable to your TV directly.  It's not magic, you know.  =P

The SCART connector handles stereo in and out, video in and out, s-video, RGB, component video, digital MPG, data transmission, sync, and ground as well.  You can only do one kind at a time.

CRACKSmecta

Hey sorry for not being a TV nerd,

How can i make a RGB cable out of this composhit one.

I was planning on making one myself, but i can't seem to find a mini din 9 pin connector.

NFG

If you can't buy a new mini9 you might be able to slice open and re-use the one you've got.  If it has all the pins and you don't mind making an ugly hack job you can take a sharp blade and cut all the plastic off.  It's hard, messy and time consuming.

Alternatively you can open your system and solder wires to the PCB, leaving either a new connector in the shell or a wire hanging out the back.

SCART connectors should be easy to find.

CRACKIN_SMecta

Aw hell, i knew u would say that.

I am gonna search that damn 9 pin min din. I have all other components.