WANTED X68000 compact floppy drives.

Started by gypsie, June 30, 2015, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsie

Hello everybody!

The first drive of my X68000 compact die yesterday. ( drive with already removed bad caps).

So i'm looking for 1 or 2 drives (3"1/2 version).

I really need some help, i can't use my computer anymore now... :'(

Thank you everybody for your help!!!!!!!!

Gypsie

caius

Hi,
not to discourage you but it will be very hard to find a working CompactXVI FDD.Personally I removed them a couple of years ago and installed internally an HxC SD floppy emulator paired with a small PCB which emulates some of proprietary FDD X68000 signals.But it's not an easy task, you have to remove one of the original FDC connector on motherboar,  install some female pin headers and build a custom cable which interfaces the motherboard to the HxC floppy emulator.It works well except for a couple of games (that probably need all the FDD signals).
Other option would be to wait that Jeff, the author of HxC, will release a modified version of his emulator with full X68000 support.At beginning of year he said me that this would have happened for this March but probably it's requiring some more time.

gypsie

Hello Caius!

I'm a "purist" and i prefer using real floppy drive. ;)

I hope to have some luck... ;D

caius

So, good luck!  :)

P.S.
I should still have the two FDD of my CompactXVI but I must check their functionality first.

gypsie

Caius!!!! I love you!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :) :) :) :)

So i will wait for the good news ;D

costa

I don't think you will find a working floppy drive for the Compact... if you do so, ask if there are more... we all need some!
:)

If you still want to use your compact while looking for a drive, I would recommend an external drive.
Get a SCSI case and cables, an old SCSI hardest or better, a SCSI2CF or SCSI2SD adapter and install in the case.
There you go... no need for floppy drives, almost.

pm me if you decide to go this route.

Quote from: gypsie on June 30, 2015, 10:10:39 PM
Hello everybody!

The first drive of my X68000 compact die yesterday. ( drive with already removed bad caps).

So i'm looking for 1 or 2 drives (3"1/2 version).

I really need some help, i can't use my computer anymore now... :'(

Thank you everybody for your help!!!!!!!!

Gypsie

BlueBMW

I've handled probably 12 compact units and also another 12 or so loose compact floppy drives.  Of all those drives (36 total) I had maybe 8 that worked and 2 more that I could repair.  The rest were no go.  These drives are terrible.

You say purist but arent most of the original games on 5.25" disks?  Maybe you would be better off finding one of those rare external 5.25" drive units.

hyperneogeo

Quote from: BlueBMW on July 15, 2015, 03:00:37 AM
I've handled probably 12 compact units and also another 12 or so loose compact floppy drives.  Of all those drives (36 total) I had maybe 8 that worked and 2 more that I could repair.  The rest were no go.  These drives are terrible.

You say purist but arent most of the original games on 5.25" disks?  Maybe you would be better off finding one of those rare external 5.25" drive units.

With the amount that has been on YAJ lately, I don't think they are rare anymore hah.

gypsie

Quote from: BlueBMW on July 15, 2015, 03:00:37 AM

Yes but external 5.25" units are expensive isn't it ?

caius

Quote from: gypsie on July 15, 2015, 09:09:25 PM

Yes, they are expensive.Regarding my 3.5" CompactXVI floppy, probably they are bot not working.Perhaps you could try to swap parts and obtain a working one.

BlueBMW

Certainly they are expensive, but it may still be a better option than trying to find good compact floppy drives.

gypsie

Quote from: caius on July 15, 2015, 10:04:58 PM
Quote from: gypsie on July 15, 2015, 09:09:25 PM

Yes, they are expensive.Regarding my 3.5" CompactXVI floppy, probably they are bot not working.Perhaps you could try to swap parts and obtain a working one.

Yes caius, i can try that.

kamiboy

I know I've been eyeing one of those external drives for a few years now. But for the price I alway catch myself thinking that I could prolly just afford a cheap OG X68000. Then I'd have both the Compact and the sexy original.

If only I werent a penniless chump