Saturn controller/periph switcher?

Started by fingersmaloy, January 28, 2009, 11:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingersmaloy

Hello. This is my first post. I'm very new to this hobby and have almost no knowledge of electronics, but I'm trying to get more into it. So far I've done a region mod for my Nomad and installed microswitches in a couple Saturn guns so they feel more gooder, both times being moderately successful.

So with that in mind, I pose this question: Would it be possible, to anyone's knowledge, to modify a Saturn multi-tap so that it acts as a switch between different controllers? I have a whole bunch of peripherals and it's annoying to keep unplugging and plugging in different things. I thought it would great if I could just have them all plugged into the multi-tap all the time and just flip a switch to select what I want to use.

Has it been done before? Is it impossible?

Thanks.

kendrick

Hasn't been done before to my knowledge. But doing it wouldn't be easy at any skill level, mostly because the controller connector ports are mounted on the circuit board and not against the case. You wouldn't be likely to reuse the circuit board because a lot of the controllers share voltage and ground connections. To be able to effectively swap between several connections would be to disconnect one complete and switch to another, and I would feel better with a mechanical switch over an electronic one in this case.

If I were you, I would construct a custom housing for ports salvaged from broken Saturns or broken multitaps, and then do a simple multiple pole/multiple throw switch. That would be effective and prove the concept. There's no rule that says you can't build a better one later, as your skills improve. Good luck.