Building controller box for PC. Questions......

Started by ken_cinder, December 25, 2008, 09:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken_cinder

Ok so I gave up on getting my homemade adapters working on my new PC, too much cost involved thanks to lacking ports.

I'm going to build a universal box with Parallel OUT and 2-4 DB9 serial ports for hooking controllers up to the PC in my arcade cabinet. Couple questions.

1: There are different wiring diagrams for different controllers, requiring diodes in 1 spot for 1 controller where 1 may not be needed on another. Should I put these diodes in the connector of my controller or would it work putting all the necessary diodes on the lines that all controllers require one on?
I'm going to wire the parallel port wire for wire with the serial port(s) and just wire my controller ends to match up with the right pins.

I'm guessing I have to put them in the controllers, or it wouldn't be able to poll the pad for buttons on/off properly if there was a diode on a data line?

2: If 1 type of controller requires wires to a certain pin on the parallel port for the 1st controller, but another type requires that same wire for a 2nd controller, is there any way I can get around this without the use of a switch?
I would guess if that second pad was of the same type, I could get away with just having nothing connected on the pin required for a second pad, but I obviously couldn't use the 2 different pads at the same time.

Drakon

http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

scroll down to "PC Arcade Controller 2 Player Version(With USB/PS2 ADAPTER) For MAME Cabinet", is this what you need?

ken_cinder

Why would I buy something I can make myself?

This is for NES, SNES, Genesis controllers etc. The PC that runs my arcade cab simply has a parallel port, where my other PCs do not, so I'll stick to using my adapter(s) on it.
Building a universal box so I can just plug any controller in at will.

I already have two Ultimarc Ultrastick 360s in it for arcade controls.