My First Attempt at Hacking a Controller

Started by Blaine, May 26, 2005, 09:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaine

While not super ambitious, I've set about transforming a piece of junk GameCube controller into an arcade stick. I picked the GC controller because it was $5 at Best Buy and if it works I can always buy a GC>USB converter (I'm not quite ready for moving encoders amongts controllers. Maybe that'll be my next project).

So far so good. I've removed a good deal of the parts including the C-stick and I've soldered the directional arrows and B button as well as tinning the remaining buttons.

I don't know what that little circle area next to the pads are supposed to be, but they make mighty fine solder points (I'll try soldering directly to the chip on the next one, Lawerence).

Crossing the wires everything works, so I'm rather happy. I hope the shoulder buttons don't give me any specific problems.

I really really wanted my first controller to be a Saturn (I have a very specific plan in mind) but, I've learned a lot today. Things like the common ground. It makes sense to me in theory but until I actually paid attention to the PCB I didn't really understand. I'm almost brave enough to run all of the buttons through the same wire. But not quite.

Hopefully I'll have some pics in a week or so (need to order some sticks and buttons). More for my benefit than anyone elses.

But thanks a lot to everyone who's been helping and I just thought I'd share.
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

phreak97

youre going to hit a problem when you come to wiring the stick. i dont have time now, but i can probably help you out later if you need it. itll involve resistors.