Multi-controller?

Started by bobmonkfish, February 25, 2005, 02:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobmonkfish

Hello i was hoping that someone could help me in a technical question.  

I am doing as my Thesis Project a multi-controller. This comprises of research into the feasibility of designing a gaming controller that would be compatible with all the current gaming systems. Basicially a single game controller that can interface with Sony's Playstation 2, Nintendo's Gamecube and Microsofts Xbox.

I am just researching the project at the moment and was hoping that you could be of assistance?

I am wondering if you have any technical information as to the signals that are sent from controller to the console itself? Like are they digital or analog signals? What form are the signals in? and just any technical information regarding the controllers themselves. Encoding, decoding and compatibility between systems. Any information is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Matarick

I think the Ebay auction would anser your question

Universal controller.

Also check out a Game Elements Adapter at a local Walmart if you live in the United States.  It converts PS2 to Xbox and Gamecube controllers with a swtich.

I have a funy feeling that the innards of an Xbox or GC controller is preaty simular or they can shink the controller output devices a lot lately.

Please check out the main gamesx site too.

Aidan

Most of the details of these controllers can be found with a good search on Google.

All three controllers use some form of digital serial communications. The XBox controllers happen to use USB, albeit with different plug and IDs. The GC controllers just extend the protocol used in the N64, which is power+bidir serial. The PS2 use a common serial bus with select lines to select which device is being communicated with.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

phreak97

QuoteThe GC controllers just extend the protocol used in the N64, which is power+bidir serial.
does that mean theres a chance of doing a simple mod to make one work on the other system? that'd be awesome

Aidan

In a word, no. It's not a simple mod for one or two reasons.

One is that the GC controller sends twice as much data, as it's got more analog controllers.
Two is that the bits are mapped a bit differently. For some of the bits, the mapping is identical (for example, start,  up and down), but for others it's totally different (left and right are swapped, and some bits are just totally elsewhere)

However, if you can write the code to handle the N64 controller, it's trivial to extend it to the GC controller.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]