Xbox joystick >>>Xbox live compatible joystick

Started by MellowYellow, November 09, 2004, 08:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MellowYellow

Is there anyone there know how to make a memory cart slot in a xbox joystick, so I can use xbox live headset on it?

Kevin

atom

Wait, whats an xbox joystick? I am pretty sure i know the solution.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

kendrick

This is a tricky one... A standard Xbox pad is essentially a USB controller with a built-in hub. The idea is that each Xbox controller port can handle one hub that splits the USB connection among the pad and two other devices, usually a memory card and another I/O device (like a keyboard or a headset or whatever.)

The easiest thing to do is to sacrifice an existing Xbox controller and tear the hub out of it. Then you have to separate the cable on the joystick so that the input on the hub leads to the controller port, and the joystick connections lead to one of the outputs. That way you have your two card slots, and ideally you only have to make eight custom wire connections. Or, you could take the memory card slots and fabricate a case for them so that you use the existing wiring, and create a port to plug the joystick into. That would be easier except for the need of an extra part, which might not be a problem if you know where to get a busted Xbox.

The thing that makes this tricky is that some Xbox live games won't work with non-standard controllers. If the game is able to detect the presence of the hub and the analog control, then it might spit out an error or just fail to accept input from your pimped-out joystick rig. So I would double check before you pull out the soldering iron and the ribbon cables.

I haven't done it myself, so anybody with better information is more than welcome to contribute. I ain't above being corrected or anything. :)

-KKC, who tore up his 6-switch Atari and is about to make a portable out of it. If only I could figure out this whole video output thing...

Atom_@School

Aww, you jerk, you beat me to it. While i still don't know what hes speaking of, I'm assuming its a 3rd party joystick that lacks a card slot. Now as Ken mentioned the controllers are simply usb devices and contain hubs within them. The memory cards are simply USB flash drives. Now here is my theory,

You can't put a 1st party XBOX controller on a seperate hub because the data will get messed with the controllers internal hub. But I am imagining this controller wouldn't have a hub at all! Its a long shot but heres my proposal.

Connect a store bought usb hub to your xbox's controller port. In one of the hubs usb ports connect the joystick, in the other hub put a pro action replay memory card adapter. If you want to blow money on a chance, this would be your only chance. Parts- 7-12 bucks for the hub, probably at least 20 for the pro action replay, but maybe you already have one?

OR

You could do what ken said, but you would be sacrificing an expensive xbox controller.

OR

You could plug in an xbox controller to controller port 2 and put your memory card there. I don't i have an xbox but i assume some sucky games will only allow you to use slot 1 which SUCKS. GCN games do that too.