UK SNES Power Supply - AC Vs. DC

Started by DaveJ-UK, March 04, 2011, 02:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveJ-UK

I have several UK/PAL model SNES consoles and original Nintendo power supplies, all of which are rated 9V AC 1.3A.

On fleabay I see a lot of sellers selling replacement power supplies that are 9V DC 400mA. Surely that's not an appropriate replacement?

I understand that the console might not use anywhere near 1.3A but my understanding was that if you used an AC power supply with a DC device then it would probably work for a bit but it would damage it in the long term?

NFG

You cannot use an AC adaptor on a DC device, it'll smoke immediately.  You can, however, use a DC supply on an AC device.

As for the Amps, you can supply more than you need, but supplying less isn't a good idea.

I have a PAL SNES and I use a PC Engine adaptor on it without problem, via an adaptor (the connectors are different).  The PCE unit is 9V 650mA.

DaveJ-UK

Hi Lawrence, Thanks for your reply.

I don't mean to sound patronising but is that just in your experience, or is it based on any electronics theory?

I used an AC power supply with a Japanese SNES for a short while without realising (Japanese SNES is DC) and it didn't blow immediately - still works fine to this day.

NFG

I'd say you got lucky.  I plugged a US NES power supply into a Famicom and it released its magic smoke instantly.  Maybe it was age, maybe the SNES is more durable or designed to cope, but yeah. 

I suppose if you want to get scientific about it you can do it a few hundred more times on a dozen different SNES' and let us know the results.  ;)

l_oliveira

Super Famicon has an protection diode. Obviously, Famicon has the 7805 chip going straight to the DC input connector (only thing before the connector is the main power switch...)

DaveJ-UK

OK, cool. Do you think 100 will be a good sample size? I'll start buying up all the SNES' on fleabay right away!  ;D

People?

The AC is only necessary for the RF output to work. If you use a DC power supply, you cannot get a signal from there. You have to use an A/V or RGB cable instead. The very same applies to the PAL NES.

Using an AC power supply in a DC-only retro console will either blow a fuse (if there is one) or blow the voltage regulator. Possibly, if you're unlucky, more stuff will blow.