NES video problem with vertical lines

Started by juha, December 15, 2009, 02:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juha

Hello all from cold Finland.

I have a following video problem with pal nes:
Vertical lines are not straight but wavy. I can also take you a picture of problem.
Any ideas what could cause the problem?
Yesterday I looked inside NES and one capacitor had something white on top of it.
Is my NES doomed, or is there a way to fix it  :)

l_oliveira

Please take pictures of the screen and that "white stuff" please.
The white stuff could be just glue to keep the capacitor in place, put at the factory.

juha

Here's two pics.

Being stupid I wiped the white stuff off, it wasn't covering the whole top of capacitor.
I'll open the nes and take you a picture to see which one of the capacitors it was.

l_oliveira

For a system of that vintage, the images look perfectly fine.

The "noise" on the image are artifacts from the video encoding. Some people refer to the CBVS video connection as "composhit" thanks to that noise.

Now about the white stuff, if you're having issues with the audio (audible humm) the capacitor could be so old it's no longer doing it's job of filtering the 60hz (in your case 50hz) from the mains power supply after the rectifier diodes. The white stuff could be leaked chemical from the capacitor.

If you cleaned the capacitor top and it's aluminum can top is intact then it didn't leak.

red5standingby

was the white stuff  on the capacitor in sort of a powdery crystal form when you wiped it off? if yes then you need to replace it that stuff was acid in the capacitor and it should be replaced with the same type of voltage as the capacitor says on the side of it..make sure that you get an exact replacement..and look at your other capacitors on the board and see if they need replacement..you can order replacements off of mcm electronics.  at www.mcmelectronics.com. i hope it works. either that or go to radio shack you can probably get one there cheaper. but i don't know if you have one there these stores are located in the u.s.a. but i'm sure you can find one.

juha

Thank you all for your reply's. The white stuff was sort of a powdery. I know a electronics shop located near, so I should get the replacement from there.
My christmas came early this year,  Wizards & Warriors came with the post yesterday  ;D
I'll keep you informed, how did it went or did I kill it.

Merry christmas to you all.

EDIT:
I called to the electronics shop, and they said that they have the capacitors, but with higher voltage rating, is this ok?
Those are still small capacitors.

albino_vulpix

As long as they fit, they'll be fine. Using capacitors with higher rated voltages doesn't cause any harm.

l_oliveira

Just don't go too high ... like 16v and put an 60v on it's place ...
25v would be ok though..