What fuse value goes in the Turbo Duo?

Started by duo_r, September 09, 2008, 03:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duo_r

I was trying to test the voltage going into the fuse on the Duo but unfortunately shorted and blew the fuse. The system is fine, I tested with another fuse, but I wanted to make sure I replaced with the "proper" fuse value. The fuse I have is marked 3A.

I have a spare 3.15A 125 V fuse from a broken PS2, but the 125V is the part that is scaring me because I think by the time the power is at fuse I think the power is between 10 to 5V. Could someone verify the correct value for the Duo fuse so I can pickup tomorrow?

Separate question - do people use the 5+V line to power LED's? I want to throw in an extra LED to let me know when the system is on while playing Hucards. I already got a blue one in there for the CD-Rom's. Or would the better way to get a 5V line is to tap into the 7805 looking circuits?

thanks,

DUO

duo_r

bump -

Would this be fine to replace the Turbo Duo fuse with? It is just marked 3A SOC:

3Amp 250V Standard Glass Fuse (Pkg of 3)

ulao

duo_r, do you know have the old fuse, what is it marked as? Or do you mean the old fuse says 3a on it? If so that's a 3 amp fuse just get one at radio shack for 1$.

As far as voltage goes, its not that critical. but you really should match dc to dc and ac to ac. The 125v is no doubt a ac circuit. If the old fuse says 15 v you better get something in that range. Real its cheep get the right replacement.

QuoteSeparate question - do people use the 5+V line to power LED's? I want to throw in an extra LED to let me know when the system is on while playing Hucards. I already got a blue one in there for the CD-Rom's. Or would the better way to get a 5V line is to tap into the 7805 looking circuits?
yes with the right resistor.

From a post I made about snes leds

ohms law..     I = V/R

You should know the Vf (forward bias voltage ( guessing 1.8V ) ) of the LED, and the max current. using less than the max current makes it less intense, so a larger resistor (600 ohms) makes it dimmer. And a smaller (100) brighter.

Also Some LEDs have a built in voltage dropping resistor no resistor is needed. They are normally a bit more in cost.

duo_r

The old fuse is just marked 3A SOC and there is a symbol on it. No indication of voltage. I picked up a 250V from Radioshack but have no idea what the voltage should be...

viletim

duo_r,

You know what a fuse is? It's a thin bit of wire!

The voltage rating is the MAXIMUM voltage you should ever apply across it (in this case, when it blows)  to ensure proper operation. Same as the voltage rating for cables, resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, etc.

ulao

your not gong to get 250V from that wall anyways.

viletim, is absolutely right. but I can help you determine what is was.

we need to know if its an ac or dc fuse.

First look at it carefully its on there.. Trust me.  If it is marked 120v that is gong to be ac...

If that fails let's examine the board. I dont know the Duo. Does it come from dc adapter or straight from the wall? In other words what does the power cable look like.. Then does it go to the board then fuse or does it go in to a transformer.

Not to be that gut but images help.

dc adapter - http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=dc+adapter&btnG=Search+Images

transformer -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Transformer-hightolow_smaller.jpg

ulao

looks like I found your answer.

QuoteTurbo Duo Power Supply:

Input: 120V AC 60HZ 16W

Use a 120v like the one you have.