Video Connector Help

Started by Riz, April 02, 2008, 10:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riz

I need some help with Sega genesis, the old cartrige kind. I sort of a novice trying to read all of the info here. I read a lot about RGB connections and all, still trying to sort it out. My question is the Coax connector was cracked by one of my kids. I tried to re solder it but to no avail can not get any picture. I tried to cut the end of connector I have yello red and white with a ground. I thought if I connect yellow and ground I could get a video signal but just get a black screen. is there a way to connect these wires to RCA's so I can connect back to TV? Help please I am a novice but willing to try anything.

Riz

OK im still reading all of the posts on here and trying to figure this out, I found this http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm on output of genesis connector now trying to find out how to tie in to actual output connectors that will give me audio and sound on TV. Here is the connector but the cable hooked up to it is only giving me four wires, can someone link me to a wiring diagram that connects this thanks

NFG

The RF adaptor mixes video and mono audio to create the RF signal.  The four wires you've got are Audio, Video, Power and Ground.  Yellow is probably power, red is probably audio and white is, obviously, video.

That's assuming you didn't fry your Genesis by shorting +5v to Ground!

You don't have a multimeter, I suppose?  If you did your job would be very easy...

Riz

Thanks Lawrence for your response,

By trade im an Appliance repair man-- Washers and dryers, Yes I have multimeters, I understand the color code and schematics, but still a noob as to video and sound, except for hooking up a rca jack to tv. I was wondering if there is a diagram to link this to other end. I want to use the connector shown above (to the Sega) what is the easiest way to give me video and sound? RCA?

kendrick

While Lawrence's guesses as to the wire color are probably right, it's worth noting that these cables weren't subject to any sort of standards inside the jacket. You can't trust that the white wire is the video signal, so it's worth testing continuity to see that it's going to the right pin on the plug.

As far as repairing the coax connector, that's probably a lost cause. Your best bet is to lop off the cable a few inches down and connect a fresh new F plug, or removing the whole cable and connecting a new one to the internal contacts. That way you're sure that the whole cable is still good. Good luck.

NFG

yes, RCA jacks are your best bet.  You're only going to get mono sound, of course, and since mini DIN9 connectors are kinda rare you may not have the option of just buying one to use for a stereo cable...

And yeah, as Kendrick says, there's no standard.  No one can provide you with anything more than a best guess, so it's up to you.  Creating an RCA cable is easy, but perhaps not with the remains of the cable you've got (because of cable thickness, length etc).  Repair or replace the RF portion of the device, buy a new one, or make a new RCA cable is my advice.

If you want to proceed, remember that the RCA cables - like all other electrical signals - require a signal + ground for each wire.  Connect the signal to the centre pin, connect ground to the shell, and you're done!

Riz

thanks i will mess with the connections tomorrow and post up what i can figure out. appreciate all of the help