News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

overclock n64 gpu

Started by Guest_Matt, January 06, 2006, 08:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest_Matt

Hi, I was wondering with all this talk of overclocking, why doesn't anyone figure out how to overclock the gpu of the n64, that would seem like the problem, not the cpu that needs overclocking. It's the gpu that processes all the gfx information. With my computer if I wanted to get better fps I wouldn't touch the cpu as the gpu was always the bottleneck.

Does anyone have the information about which pins to change on the n64 gpu to change the frequency.

THanks,
matt.

Vertigo

Probably because, as detailed in the other N64 overclock thread here, the GPU controls the video output frequency too, and those with 100Hz TVs that would bother to try it are very few and far between.

Aidan

It is unlikely that there are any external pins to change the multiplier (if the Reality engine even has one). If the reality engine uses the pixel clock as it's main clock source, speeding up the pixel clock will speed up the rendering. This will also have the side effect of speeding up the signal sent to the TV, and thus speeding up the game play too. Double that speed and (assuming it doesn't die) the game will run twice as fast, literally.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

sebi1000

QuoteIt is unlikely that there are any external pins to change the multiplier (if the Reality engine even has one). If the reality engine uses the pixel clock as it's main clock source, speeding up the pixel clock will speed up the rendering. This will also have the side effect of speeding up the signal sent to the TV, and thus speeding up the game play too. Double that speed and (assuming it doesn't die) the game will run twice as fast, literally.
I�ve overclocked the GPU and Memory and it works without any problems.
The clock generator MX8350 generates the signal for the two parts.
So if you change part x1 with a bigger one, the GPU and Memory would be overclocked.
Original is 14,7MHz and I tested 15,36MHz without problems, but 16MHz makes screen errors.
Part x2 is for changing NTSC, PAL or PAL-M.
Sorry for bad english.

QuoteIt is unlikely that there are any external pins to change the multiplier (if the Reality engine even has one). If the reality engine uses the pixel clock as it's main clock source, speeding up the pixel clock will speed up the rendering. This will also have the side effect of speeding up the signal sent to the TV, and thus speeding up the game play too. Double that speed and (assuming it doesn't die) the game will run twice as fast, literally.
I�ve overclocked the GPU and Memory and it works without any problems.
The clock generator MX8350 generates the signal for the two parts.
So if you change part x1 with a bigger one, the GPU and Memory would be overclocked.
Original is 14,7MHz and I tested 15,36MHz without problems, but 16MHz makes screen errors.
Part x2 is for changing NTSC, PAL or PAL-M.
Sorry for bad english.
Original memory runs at 250MHz and GPU at 62,5MHz.

Overclocked memory at 261MHz and GPU at 65,3MHz.

RobIvy64

This i'll have to test...
"Console Mods" lurker

sebi1000

15,432MHz Xtal also works without problems on the pal N64

Epicenter

In theory there should still be system-wide unwanted speedup. You just may not be picking up on it, and the vertical syncrate may not have passed the range your TV can accept even if it's not exactly 60hz. Or 50hz depending on your region.
- Epicenter
Epic Gaming Admin