Black and white image

Started by patroclus02, June 26, 2004, 08:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patroclus02

Why when playing imports using composite on a modded PAL Play station, NTSC image looks gray, while playing imports in PAL SNES, in 60Hz mode, colours look fine?? Is it because I use RF output with SNES and composite with PSX??
I know PSX needs a RGB SCART cable in order to show colours. RF is not affected by this?

Yod@

It's simply because the SNES 50/60Hz mod is exactly that - it switches the video output between 50Hz or 60Hz, but retains the native colour encoding. Therefore a PAL SNES will always output PAL, and an NTSC SNES will always output NTSC.

Same goes for a Dreamcast, and Gamecube.

However with the PS1 and PS2 things are slightly different - all of these machines (no matter what region) output either PAL50 or NTSC60. If you play a PAL game and choose the 60Hz option, you'll get NTSC. If you play an NTSC game on a PAL PS1, you'll get NTSC.

patroclus02

thanks, that's exactly what I thought
So, If I get a NTSC Famicom, the image will be gray ?? Even if I use RGB cable??

Anyway, i've seen a web about modding a PAL Mega Drive 2, and in 60Hz mode, the image looks gray too! Does it mean that Mega Drive is like PS1??

http://users.skynet.be/DuNe/Console/md1/md1.html

Thanks in advance ;)

Martin

Quotethanks, that's exactly what I thought
So, If I get a NTSC Famicom, the image will be gray ?? Even if I use RGB cable??

Anyway, i've seen a web about modding a PAL Mega Drive 2, and in 60Hz mode, the image looks gray too! Does it mean that Mega Drive is like PS1??

http://users.skynet.be/DuNe/Console/md1/md1.html

Thanks in advance ;)
No the image will be grey if you use any other lead... If you use RGB you will get color. :D
And yes, if you are not using a RGB cable on your Modded Megadrive you will get a Grey image when running it in a format other than your TV's own (ie running PAL on a NTSC TV or vize versa)
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

patroclus02

But about Mega Drive gray image.. that does not happend with SNES or Master system. Why??

Martin

Thats because when you MOD a Mega Drive to output 60Hz, it switches to NTSC when your running it in 60Hz mode, so If your running it on a PAL TV, then youll get a Black and white picture because the signals are incompatible, unless you use a RGB Cable.
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]