What is probably a stupid question about RGB

Started by RagePrblm, July 15, 2011, 12:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RagePrblm

Hey everyone, Im a newb to this forum and have been browsing the forum for the last couple of days. I dont know much about electronic components and cant read a schematic to save my life. I have some basic electronic knowledge and I do actually have very good soldering skills. I've been reading up on RGB and how North America got the shaft and didnt get it. I seem to understand that VGA is generally RGB (please correct me if I am wrong), and I have been seeing a lot of modifications to consoles that will get them to output RGB.

My question is: Can I wire the RGB output to a VGA connector and play these consoles on my monitor? My monitor manual specs are these:
RGB Analog, DVI (Digital Visual Interface) Compliant Digital RGB
0.7Vp-p Positive @ 75 Ohm +/- %10
Seperate H/V Sync, Composite Sync, SOG, TTL Level Positive or Negative

Thats right from the manual for this little LCD. Now IF I can actually wire RGB to a VGA connector, which type or sync do I use?

Also does anyone have any recommendations of a good website to learn about schematics? Its been a long time since I was in school.

Anyway, thanks for reading this post

-Adam

NFG

You need to know the horizontal sync rate.  Typically VGA monitors never go low enough to display console RGB, hence the scan doublers like the XRGB devices.

If your monitor does 31kHz as a minimum, you're screwed.  If it does 15kHz, you're in luck.  My guess is you're not in luck.

RagePrblm

Ah you are right my monitor supports from 30-81 khz. So all I have to do is get a scan doubler?

NFG

RagePrblm

Thanks Lawrence! Can you recommend any inexpensive ones? That XRGB one is way out of my league lol

NFG

Unfortunately line doubling has traditionally been a niche thing, and as such they tend to be expensive.  It's also not easy to do well, so if you do find a cheap one, it probably has some limitations or quality issues.

There are reviews for other units on this forum, have a look around.

RagePrblm

Thank you Lawrence. You've been a big help. I dont know anything about how all the video chips work or anything, but you really helped me out.

-Adam