News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

The Smart Bomb

Started by Vertigo, November 30, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertigo

Smart bombs. A last resort to use when it's all going to hell and you don't want to lose your firepower upgrades, or an integral part of gameplay that's necessary for going the distance?
Bear with me, I won't be long.
When I was sharing a house in the later months of last year, it was pretty much decided and agreed on that unless smart bombs were integral to gameplay, i.e. the C button in Ikaruga, or to a lesser degree the psychic power in ESP Ra De, that smart bombs were the lady's way out of a dire situation.
I think that if a game's been well balanced and the player is of a high enough skill level, the smart bomb need not be used in order to complete a game. Tatsujin, for example, is very much completable without resorting to a nuke, but poorly-balanced stuff like Samurai Aces with it's frankly unfair enemy shot speeds are where smart bombs are entirely necessary if you're to get off the second level.
So what's the general opinion around here on pressing that magic button?

Seven Force

I like it when games make it so smart bombs don't only save your tail, but can uncover some extra stuff as well (Like Battle Garegga). There are also some games where you can use bombs and not feel guilty since either plentiful or of the rechargeable type. (Varth, Raiden Fighters, and Grid Seeker come to mind)

NFG

I think it depends greatly on the design of the game.  Some games are unplayable without bombs - for example a boss that presents an impassable wall of bullets only a bomb can clear.

I rarely use bombs in any game, primarily I think because:
a. I forget they're there
b. I press the button after I die.

Star Soldier (GC) had no bombs, and it was aaawesome.