PS2 VGA ideas

Started by skate323k137, March 06, 2009, 12:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skate323k137

I've been visiting gamesx for longer than I can remember, but anyway, on with the reason for my post.

I want to be able to play my 480p compatable PS2 games on a VGA monitor (i own two tv's with component but both are only 480i). I understand that the ps2 can output component or RGsB. I've found converters to get 480p component to VGA, but I know there is some conversion involved with that process. I was praying to find a RGsB (RGB sync on green) to VGA converter but have had no luck. anyone know of one? I'm sure i won't find a blaze adapter, although I did find a diagram to make my own PS2 vga cable but there has got to be an easier way. I have two VGA monitors, one of which should actually support sync on green, so my question for that monitor is, could I just wire the R, Gs, B, and ground to a DB15 or is there a little more to it? for my other monitor, Is a good 480p component to VGA conversion going to look as good? (I know it shouldn't, since VGA is basically RGB, but if the difference isn't noticable I'd settle for that)

your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.

ken_cinder

Ignoring the technical aspect of your post, what are you going to do for the OSD that doesn't display in 480p, and prior to selecting 480p in startup of a game?

skate323k137

I've got multiple PS2's, two of which have hard drives in them with an identical list of games. worse comes to worse i can start both up.

If i feel so inclined and end up using a component to VGA converter (its looking like that's what I'll end up getting) I can split the Y signal (I'll put a switch on it) and get a B/W picture on a nearby CRT to set up progressive mode. flip the switch back and turn on the VGA monitor.

anyone try one of these?

http://www.datapro.net/products/hdtv-component-to-vga-converter.html

l_oliveira

If you have an very early PS2 model(from SCPH-10000 to early 3000x range), you can hack a true VGA output port in it. And it's possible to even disable Sync On Green at the progressive mode, giving you pristine image quality on any VGA monitor without any kind of adapter.

skate323k137

thanks for that info info, but right now i've got two 50001's with hard drives, and a 79001 slim.

I also found this circuit, which doesn't look too hard to make aside from the connections at the system itself. i'd rather not have to modify a system internally, i was thinking i could just make the adaptor box with rca inputs and just set the system to RGB, but i'd need to get +5v from somewhere. http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4020&d=1091999786

l_oliveira

That circuit will work fine for you besides the fact that it's impossible to disable SoG on 50k units by hardware. There are stripped  H and V sync signals internally on all PS2 models. So if you're willing to you can get the signals inside the machine and ditch the LM1881.

Still no way to disable SoG so it will have a ugly green tint.  If your monitor supports SoG just hook Red, Green and Blue straight. Ignore Vsync and Hsync as the sync comes mixed with Green.

skate323k137

Quote from: l_oliveira on March 07, 2009, 08:57:35 AM
If your monitor supports SoG just hook Red, Green and Blue straight. Ignore Vsync and Hsync as the sync comes mixed with Green.

I have one that should. I assume I need to attach ground as well, right? I'll probably give this a try by setting the PS2 to RGB, and just making an adapter from rca jacks to the DB15. could I just attach one of the shields from the rca (component) cables as ground, or should i ground all the shields from them to the ground on the DB15?

sorry for being such a newb, i'm decent with a slodering iron but reading up more daily on electrical theory.

l_oliveira

Yes, you need to attach the grounds. Keep all the signals grounded properly and don't use just one ground. Use all ground pins and make sure everything is well grounded as nobody like ghosting/noise in images. :D

I must mention that SoG is only active when the PS2 is set up RGB mode at system settings *AND* (this is important) video is set to PROGRESSIVE SCAN mode by a game. 

Building the RCA to mini DB-15 will allow you to use an standard component video cable without having to butcher it.
Beautiful idea !

Fudoh

IMO the loss in quality due to transcoding from progressive component to VGA is negligible. I'm using a old transcoder from a german company called Burosch and the quality is 100% perfect. So, if you don't want to mod your system or want something you can use with every PS2 revision out there, get a transcoder. The X2VGA2 from Neoya ($60) does even support 480i (it's all messed up, but at least you can see the menu before you switch to 480p).

duo_r

i built a VGA cable many years ago with an LM1881 circuit, I didn't have the other IC listed on that webpage. i can post pictures of it later. But I can tell you the Blaze had alot of issues with the green tint (and compatability was bad). The one I built had much better compatability. The VGA box I built has composite out which you use to set your 480P mode,  after initialized, composite times out and you get VGA mode. I did use V and H sync after usiing an  LM1881 to strip the sync from the green line. I have no doubt this would work with all PS2 models. Why you ask? Because even my PS3 works fine with this cable I built. I will tell you that without modifying the system, movies won't play correctly (even if your system plays DVD's in progressive mode.

oh and Component to VGA transcoding would be a waste, because the best and cheapest method would take RGB to VGA (you enable RGB in PS2 menu). VGA is pretty much RGB with H and V sync signals. The Lm1881 circuit provides those signals and you are just passing through the RGB lines. The picture wouldn't be any better (maybe even a little loss) if you transcoded component to VGA).

Also, if you have an HDTV Exploder disk, you get more game compatibility for 480p mode although not all games run properly on that.

skate323k137

thanks for all the replies! I know that i have to set the system to RGB, and enable progressive mode as the game boots. i understand that vga is rgbhv, which is why i wanted to shy away from transcoding.

I ended up just wiring a few female rca jacks to R,G, and B (pins 1,2, and 3 on the mini DB-15) and grounded all the shields to pin 6. on my monitor that supports sync on green, it works great! adding a composite output is a great idea, i may have to do that, because to play on a monitor right now i have to set it up using a composide cable, and then plug in my other cable at the back of the PS2. Maybe I can find an offbrand cable that has composite or s-video in addition to the component plugs. either way, I did this mainly just to see if i could, although guilty gear XX A.C.+ looks freaking sweet on the VGA monitor. too bad it's only a 17 inch.

I'd post pictures but most (all) of you guys are above my head on most of this stuff. For monitors that support sync on green, it really is as easy as just wiring a few RCA jacks to a VGA port. I can't believe it was that easy.

duo_r

yeah, that is why I said grab a aftermarket component cable, sometimes S-video works. The aftermarket usually have ALL the pins, so you can access your RGB and also your composite vid lines. The ps2 official component cables do not do this. You will also (as I am sure you figured) want to run your audio lines unless you are using the digital out port.

Besides putting a composite video plug on my box, I also put a minijack audio port for audio out.

My monitor did not work with the Blaze SOG plug, but this custom port I made worked on every monitor i threw at it.

l_oliveira

Quote from: skate323k137 on March 08, 2009, 08:42:39 AM
I can't believe it was that easy.

Did I mention that the *very same cable you made* will work with the PS3 too ?
But sadly the PS3 has some software lockout which caps the video at 480P
At PS3 linux you can use all resolutions.

duo_r

nope, I did:

QuoteI have no doubt this would work with all PS2 models. Why you ask? Because even my PS3 works fine with this cable I built.

;) - so with PS3 Linux however, this can use higher resolutions with Linux eh? So does that just means movie player, etc with Linux? Think there will be a mod soon that can unlock for games, etc? Also, ANY movies I play wether Blu-ray or DVD the macrovision / protection kicks in. My chipped PS2 defeats the macrovision when playing DVD's.

Quote from: l_oliveira on March 08, 2009, 02:31:58 PM
Quote from: skate323k137 on March 08, 2009, 08:42:39 AM
I can't believe it was that easy.

Did I mention that the *very same cable you made* will work with the PS3 too ?
But sadly the PS3 has some software lockout which caps the video at 480P
At PS3 linux you can use all resolutions.

skate323k137

I ended up building two of these, one with all the grounds individually connected to their respective pins, and one with all the colors grounded to pin 6. I can't tell the difference, they both look flawless.

I found a (cough) gamestop (cough) cable that had component and composite on it, so i can plug the "component" plugs and audio into my adapter and the composite lead to a nearby CRT for setting up the game/getting through HD loader. once i'm in progressive mode, i can shut off my TV and play on the monitor.

again, thanks for all the info guys. I'm sure i'll be lurking around here for a long time. I'm just glad I finally have enough practice with a soldering iron to get 6 wires next to each other on a mini DB15 :)

duo_r

Yeah as you discovered, you can just use the same ground for each of the video ground lines. That is how most of us build those.

Quote from: skate323k137 on March 10, 2009, 05:06:37 AM
I ended up building two of these, one with all the grounds individually connected to their respective pins, and one with all the colors grounded to pin 6. I can't tell the difference, they both look flawless.

I found a (cough) gamestop (cough) cable that had component and composite on it, so i can plug the "component" plugs and audio into my adapter and the composite lead to a nearby CRT for setting up the game/getting through HD loader. once i'm in progressive mode, i can shut off my TV and play on the monitor.

again, thanks for all the info guys. I'm sure i'll be lurking around here for a long time. I'm just glad I finally have enough practice with a soldering iron to get 6 wires next to each other on a mini DB15 :)