pal snes s-vhs

Started by wedley, August 20, 2008, 10:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedley

Hi, I have a switched pal snes which I'm trying to use with a S-VHS cable on a 20" sony HD TV. Problem is the image is black and white only.

Anyone know if I need to rewire the S-VHS cable for pal snes outpu?

Cheers,

Wedders.

NeWmAn

Check if your TV has an option to manually choose the color encoding (PAL/NTSC3.58/NTSC4.43).

wedley

Thanks for the reply. I've been through the TV options menu but the only colour options are for the normal contrast, brightness etc.

NFG

I'm pretty sure the PAL SNES, like the PAL GameCube and PAL N64, don't have S-video output.

I dunno where my PAL SNES is, or I'd check...

NeWmAn

Quote from: Lawrence on August 21, 2008, 12:34:53 AM
I'm pretty sure the PAL SNES, like the PAL GameCube and PAL N64, don't have S-video output.
I've just checked: a PAL SNES has S-Video

wedley

I guess if it wasn't putting out an S-VHS signal I would be no picture at all. The fact that I get a black and white imge makes me think there's something different about the colour wiring for the PAL S-VHS signal. Anyone got any more ideas? Thanks for the help so far.

NeWmAn

By "switched pal snes" you mean that's working at 60Hz or something else?
Is your cable official,3rd party or self built?

NFG

QuoteI've just checked: a PAL SNES has S-Video
Damn Nintendo, making me look bad!

BTW, It's not S-VHS, that's a kind of video tape.  It's s-video.

Link83

Just guessing here, but is it possible there is someting wrong with the Chroma signal - thus giving a black and white image? (Luma only)
I would check the S-Video plug for bent pins. (there could also be a break in the cable somewhere, but that would be much harder to fix)

wedley

By "switched" I mean 50/60hz. The cable is new but not boxed so I guess it's a 3rd party job. No bent pins either.

I borrow my brothers US Snes and try that to see if it's any different.

john

Quote from: Lawrence on August 21, 2008, 12:34:53 AM

The PAL SNES and N64 both output s-video.  No idea about the gamecube/wii.

albino_vulpix

Do you get a B&W image in just s-video, or are other modes affected?
Do you lose colour in both 50 and 60Hz?

About the PAL Cube and Wii, no s-video on a PAL Cube, but a PAL Wii can be forced to output s-video depending on the software.

wedley

I'm currently using the yellow,white and red cable (called composite, Ithink) with no colour problems but the picture could be sharper. Using the S-Video cable in 50 or 60Hz results in a B&W image. I could get a scart cable but both of the inputs are already used for other devices, hences the reason I went for S-Video.

NeWmAn

On my TV the front panel has S-video and composite sockets, but both are called AV-3 input.
I have to manually configure the TV to choose which is active, if I select composite on the menu the S-video socket can still be used but I only get BW video.

Do you have another device (besides the SNES) that can be connected to your TV via S-video? Have you tried that?

wedley

Thanks for all the replies. It's sounds like my TV is the same, uses AV channel 4 for both composite and the S-Video, only there is no way of choosing which is active on my Sony . I have tried making sure there is nothing plugged into the composite at the same time as using the S-Video but this doesn't make any difference. Guess I'll have to get a Scart cable.

For reference the model is sony KDL 20S3000

Cheers,

Wedders.

wedley

Update: I borrowed my brothers US Snes at the weekend and works great with the s-video cable on my TV. Therefore there must be a difference between the s-video signal from the Pal snes.

eek

Most likely it is because your TV doesn't like the PAL-60Hz colour mode. There is a difference between PAL60 and NTSC too, so your TV may well support NTSC and not PAL60.

Back in the day when I used to use my 1084s monitor, it would happily display PAL60 signals, but not NTSC.