BOUNTY: RGB Mods

Started by Shou, May 14, 2008, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shou

As a means to encourage the discovery/publication of certain mods, I am willing to put money where my mouth is and offer 2 modern games (Wii/PS2/PS3/360) of your choice + cost for parts if you can provide me with an RGB mod and working specs for one of the following consoles (well portables):

CD-i
DS (I've seen a prototype in action before)
Lynx II
Neo Geo Pocket Color
PC-FX (PC-FXGA) - I have some specs I can pass along that detail the graphic controller chip
WonderSwan Color Crystal
become history

phreak97

wish i could actually help.. but ill pass on what little i know..

i have seen the official nintendo video output rig for the ds, it's a big orange box about six times the size of a ds console, you put the cartridge into the unit, and theres a very thick cable that goes from the unit to the back of the ds, it is hardwired in. theres no easy way to use it with a unit other than the one made for it.
basically it looks to me like they've put an elaborate ds console into the box and the actual ds is just used for its inputs and outputs..

now the question is.. would they have gone to that much effort if rgb was obtainable with a few components in the ds?

i believe the unit has "nitro capture" or something written on the side. they are used at nintendo ds events.

Shou

Quote from: phreak97 on May 14, 2008, 12:08:35 PM
wish i could actually help.. but ill pass on what little i know..

i have seen the official nintendo video output rig for the ds, it's a big orange box about six times the size of a ds console, you put the cartridge into the unit, and theres a very thick cable that goes from the unit to the back of the ds, it is hardwired in. theres no easy way to use it with a unit other than the one made for it.
basically it looks to me like they've put an elaborate ds console into the box and the actual ds is just used for its inputs and outputs..

now the question is.. would they have gone to that much effort if rgb was obtainable with a few components in the ds?

i believe the unit has "nitro capture" or something written on the side. they are used at nintendo ds events.

I've seen a much smaller mod in Akiba that was displayed on dual monitors but it disappeared after a week....
become history

NeWmAn

Quote from: Shou on May 14, 2008, 11:10:00 AM
CD-i
Doesn't it have native RGB?
I would be more interested in replicating this:
http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/

PC-FX (PC-FXGA) - I have some specs I can pass along that detail the graphic controller chip

What specs do you have? I hope is an actual pinout and NOT just the list of the registers of the HuC6261.

Shou

Quote from: ニユ-マン on May 15, 2008, 01:53:08 AM

There is no output and to date, have yet to see a mod.

What specs do you have? I hope is an actual pinout and NOT just the list of the registers of the HuC6261.

The specs (in Japanese btw) show that there is no RGB output only YUV.
become history

NeWmAn

Quote from: Shou on May 15, 2008, 04:03:58 PM
Quote from: ニユ-マン on May 15, 2008, 01:53:08 AM

There is no output and to date, have yet to see a mod.

I Just took a look at this page:
http://www.freetimeweb.nl/home/electro/video/cdi/cdi_list.html
And I've seen that some models came WITH RGB output while at least one professional unit has an official RGB cable...

The specs (in Japanese btw) show that there is no RGB output only YUV.

ROFL !
Wow, that is really helpful!  ::)

Shou

Quote from: ニユ-マン on May 16, 2008, 01:49:20 AM
I Just took a look at this page:
http://www.freetimeweb.nl/home/electro/video/cdi/cdi_list.html
And I've seen that some models came WITH RGB output while at least one professional unit has an official RGB cable...

I don't consider a dev machine the same as a consumer unit. Have you had a unit in your hands that had RGB out of the box?

Quote from: ニユ-マン on May 16, 2008, 01:49:20 AM
ROFL !
Wow, that is really helpful!  ::)

ROFL LOL I feel your maturity.

become history

kendrick

No personal attacks on the board, please. If nobody has any further technical information to add I'm going to close the topic.

acem77

I did a CDI RGB mod. it was easy(for me)
i posted it on this forum and some cdi forum.
the pics may be down cuz of changing web hosts ill try to update it.

Shou

acem77: Thanks for the info! Please let me know when you can get pics up or if you just want to send them my way, I would appreciate it.
become history

acem77

eastbayarb

acem77,

that is WAY out of my league however impressive it looks. Now if someone could RGB mod my Panasonic FZ-1 3DO, I would pay handsomey :)

acem77

Do I get my BOUNTY  ;D i post detailed RGB info for one of the listed systems (CDI)

Quote from: Shou on May 14, 2008, 11:10:00 AM
As a means to encourage the discovery/publication of certain mods, I am willing to put money where my mouth is and offer 2 modern games (Wii/PS2/PS3/360) of your choice + cost for parts if you can provide me with an RGB mod and working specs for one of the following consoles (well portables):

CD-i
Lynx II
Neo Geo Pocket Color
WonderSwan Color Crystal

tsenzen

kyuusaku

For all the handhelds you can't just RGB mod them since they use digital LCDs which deviate from conventional TV timing. You'd have to store the pixels into RAM, then have a framebuffer circuit pull them conforming to TV timing. This would take 64K x 16 bit of FIFO, medium CPLD, oscillator, and three DACs. It can also be done with dual port RAM, or with twice as much regular RAM, but it'd then require twice as much logic and cause a negligible delay of one frame.

Tiido Priimägi

RGB mod on Game Gear is pretty easy... 3x DACs, a pixel clocker and nothing more... as easy as N64 digital RGB mod
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)