Commodore 1084-D

Started by kripp, December 18, 2005, 02:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kripp

I found a shop that has one of these monitors for sale, im just wondering if it will work for the RGB console mods? Ive checked with monitorworld.com and it lists its horizontal scan rate at 15.75Khz, it also has a switch on the back of the monitor for analog/digital RGB modes.

Any help or insight would be appreciated, thanks.

NFG

It's a favourite monitor for console RGB.  If it's in good shape, get it.

kripp

I read on the wiki that the 1084 is a favorite, but I wasn't too sure if the 1084-D was in the same league. I wen't ahead and picked it up anyways, its in perfect shape and only cost me $30. But that is where the fun stops...

Ive been pissing around soldering cables and whatnot for the last two hours or so, I can not get a stable analog RGB image. I've wired up a cable for the monitor using the pinout information from the Hardware Book...

1 - GND
2 - GND
3 - Red
4 - Green
5 - Blue
6 - N/C
7 - C. Sync
8 - N/C
9 - N/C

I've tested this configuration with my Master System and Neo Geo CD, both consoles give me the same results... a rolling mess of colors! I was able to adjust the vertical hold and stabilize the Neo Geo CD screen a bit, but the image was still half way in the center of the screen looking like crap.

Could it be that I am using the wrong type/size of wire for my cable, perhaps the wires are too thin and the signal is being lost?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

NFG

Make sure you're using composite Sync, not composite video.  The 1084 will freak out if it gets video through the sync line (though I've heard some PAL monitors are more tolerant...).

Also, watch that you're not mixing a PAL/NTSC monitor with an NTSC/PAL system.  They're not 50/60 compatible.

kripp

I've wired up a new cable with thicker gauge wire, im still getting the same old results. It will sync up at times, but only for a quick second and then it fades out. I know the analog/digital switch in the back is working, when I throw the switch while in analog mode to digital the screen blacks out.

Could it be a simple pinout mistake I am making? I do only have one of the ground wires hooked up on the monitor side (pin 1), I have tried it with both pins 1 and two connected on my previous cable and had no change. Perhaps its the pinout im using for the Master System, although I have checked with numerous webpages and have tried all sorts of combinations with no luck.

Again, any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Computolio

This happened to me once because I got the DIN pinout backwards. Maybe you made the same mistake.

kripp

Here is how I have things wired up on the Master System side...

Should I be pulling the RGB signals off of the PCB or CX1145 IC, perhaps with a capacitor for each of the lines?

Thanks.

dj898

have you tried with 1084-S instead?

NFG

You should be fine pulling video out of that plug.  You might want to verify it's not reversed left<->right by shoving a multimeter in there and checking the +5v location.

You never did answer the sync/video question either.

kripp

I am quite sure that I am using the composite sync and not composite video. I have a standard A/V cable for the Master System, I opened it up and checked the pinout from the DIN connector on the cable. I don't have a multimeter at this point in time but thinking about it now I should just check which is the +5v line using an LED (will do this after work, seeing as its 6:10am).

Perhaps the monitor is just shit in the RGB department? With my luck I would not be suprised if every function but the analog RGB worked with this monitor. Its good to know that the place I bought it from has another 1084, aswell a bunch of other old RGB monitors.

I will figure this out, I've been wanting a RGB setup for too long now!

Thanks.

kripp

Well, I tried to locate the +5v source with the LED...

Just so happens that most of the pins illuminate the LED, at first all I could do was shake my head, then I read this...

"According to Jim Christy, the US and NTSC SNES have a �DC offset�, which is basically extra voltage, on the RGB lines. You can filter this out with one 220uf capacitor on each of the RGB lines (+ towards console, - towards display). PAL SNES systems do not need these caps, but PAL GameCubes do. NTSC GameCubes don�t output RGB through this connector."

From...

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav

"NEW! [Jan 12/99]: You must add a 220uf capacitor in each of the RGB lines to get an acceptable picture. If you don't, the picture will be too dark and you won't like it!!"

From...

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm

Do most US and NTSC console systems do this?

Any help or insight would really make my day.

Thanks.

NFG

Some do, some don't.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it.  

kripp

Well turns out it was the monitor after all, I exchanged the 1084-D for a 1084S-D1 and it works great. I am amazed at how good the RGB image quality is, I knew it was going to be good, but this is wild!

Thanks

Endymion

What is the diff with that and the 1084S-D1? (Other than the fact that this one works! :D )

kripp

The 1084-D was only a mono audio unit, it had the input selection switch and the power button in the front. The 1084S-D1 is a stereo unit, has the input selection buttons and power button in the back. Other than that they are pretty much the same monitor, im just glad this one works!

Thanks