Component Video

Started by TJ_Kat, January 14, 2005, 04:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ_Kat

Now that I've given up on my foolish quest to get all my consoles to plug into the VGA port on my TV, I'm settling on component video.

My first cable is for my PS2. Everything looks great EXCEPT for one thing: I have a wavy flickering effect that's quite noticeable on still images (text mostly).

What I'm wondering is: is this normal? Is this just the end result of my video quality getting too good for interlaced scanning that the scan lines are now blatantly obvious, or does the problem lie elsewhere (cable/PS2/TV)?

Please keep in mind, all I really know about interlaced scanning (and progressive scanning for that matter) is what I picked up from my TV manual's section on HDTV.

Endymion

You should seek out a progressive-capable game for your PS2, enable its progressive scan feature, and see for yourself. (Try Soul Calibur 2.) You're probably just witnessing the jagginess of interlacing.

TJ_Kat

Okay. Discovered Star Ocean supports progressive scanning... Started it up in progressive mode, and it looked wonderful. Started it up in interlace mode, and the wavy-ness came back.

So yes, video quality is now too good for interlaced scanning.

In light of this, where can I find a reasonably complete list of PS2 games that support progressive scan?

BTW, thank you Endymion.

TJ_Kat