SNES connected to RGB arcade monitor, what is wrong with this?

Started by Tighe, June 04, 2012, 11:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tighe

Can you tell me what the issue is?  Do I need an RGB amp to get a better picture?  It is clear, for very dim.

Tighe

133MHz

What kind of cable are you using to connect the SNES to the arcade monitor? Official PAL SNES SCART cable? Third party Gamecube SCART cable? Direct wiring?

Tighe

Quote from: 133MHz on June 05, 2012, 08:09:11 AM
What kind of cable are you using to connect the SNES to the arcade monitor? Official PAL SNES SCART cable? Third party Gamecube SCART cable? Direct wiring?

JAMMA direct connected:

RGB32E

Two things:

1. You need to add 220uF series caps on the RGB lines, positive side to the console, negative towards the monitor.

2. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28069 - I haven't used one of these, but based off of the feedback this is seems to be the definitive solution for connecting non-JAMMA RGB to an arcade monitor.  Alternatively, you could try building your own circuit with a ths7315 (14.5 db gain).

Tighe

Quote from: RGB32E on June 05, 2012, 12:30:11 PM
Two things:

1. You need to add 220uF series caps on the RGB lines, positive side to the console, negative towards the monitor.

2. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28069 - I haven't used one of these, but based off of the feedback this is seems to be the definitive solution for connecting non-JAMMA RGB to an arcade monitor.  Alternatively, you could try building your own circuit with a ths7315 (14.5 db gain).

I will give it a try, I had only one 220 uf on me so I put it on the red output and it didn't change the picture at all.  I will try it on all 3 now that I picked up some more.

Also, I made up this RGB amp circuit using off the shelf parts from Radio Shack, do you think it will work?  Every RGB amp I see here uses ICs.  This one only uses transistors.  It is a modified version of a composite video amp circuit I used in my portable NES.