XRGB2+ question

Started by Thunder, December 24, 2005, 04:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder

Hello,

I've bought a few month ago an XRGB 2+ in order to connect
all my consoles (especially my japanese Saturn) to my 21" CRT monitor
using RGB. Tje XRGB is really an excellent product, and the image displayed
is very good, but I've noticed that someminor glitches.

Games using only horizontal scrolling are displayed flawless.
But in games using a vertical scrolling, during vertical scrolling
phases, you can that the image is a little bit jagged, just like
when you watch on your computer an interlaced movie file and
you see the interlacement.
My monitor is a Compaq V1000 21". I've tried my XRGB on
a second monitor (17" Iiyama) but I've noticed the same problem.

Is that a problem with my XRGB 2+ ? Or perhaps is this a normal
thing on all upscan converters ?

Thanks for your answers.

NFG

It's normal.  The device is doubling the scan lines, and if the image moves during this doubling process, as will happen a lot with games, you get scanline shearing as you describe.

TuZhao

This concerns me, as I'd like to buy one in order to replace my old 15 kHz Hantarex arcade monitor which made a nasty frying sound and a horrible burned smell.

I play mainly shoot'em ups (both horizontal and vertical), so I'd like to know how this visual shearing can affect them. Is it so serious to compromise games? I'm somewhat picky about graphic glitches...

Proud Carmageddon player since 1997[/b]
I love shoot'em ups. I love arcade games. I love 2D games.

NFG

Don't worry about it.  

Endymion

I'd just turn on the fake scanlines and not worry about it. There really isn't much more that can be done.

acem77

i never saw any thing odd with my xrgb2+ on my hd tv.
no mater how fast the a game moves in any direction.
just a super sharp clean picture.

TuZhao

Now I'm almost convinced that eventually I'll buy one...
But my gaming equipment consists in a Dreamcast, a Jap Saturn and a Raiden jamma PCB: I think I read in these forums that the XRGB2+ is not compatible with jamma boards, while the XRGB2 is. Am I right?

NFG

The X-RGB2 had a special setting to drop the signal levels on JAMMA PCBs, which tend to use non-standard, overbright RGB.  The 2+ does not have this option, and is a little less tolerant in its sync rates.  If PCBs are going to be a large part of your gaming, I'd recommend the 2 instead of the 2+.

Dave_K.

QuoteThe X-RGB2 had a special setting to drop the signal levels on JAMMA PCBs, which tend to use non-standard, overbright RGB.  The 2+ does not have this option, and is a little less tolerant in its sync rates.  If PCBs are going to be a large part of your gaming, I'd recommend the 2 instead of the 2+.
Has anyone actually confirmed what sync ranges the 2 and 2+ will accept (or not accept)?  Regarding the PCB switch on the 2 model, couldn't you just add resistors to the custom scart/rgb cable (which hooks to your PCB) to bring down the individual line levels for the 2+?  

NFG

The ranges are easy enough to find, the manual lists them.  The 2+ doesn't deviate much from 60Hz, I know it won't handle the Seibu SPI boards (Raiden Fighters etc) which are 54Hz.

Yes, it should be possible to use those resistors, but the reduced range of tolerance in the 2+ kind of negates the point; the RGB brightness is almost certainly not the only issue,,,

TuZhao

A question comes to my mind: how does a gun controller behave when used on a VGA monitor through the XRGB? I once tried with a crappy composite video VGA box and the Saturn recognized only the upper half of the monitor hits only.

NFG

Guns don't like to have their screens modified.  They depend on VERY accurate timing.  Expect it not to work, and be very happy if it does (it probably won't).

So Lawrence are you saying that the X-RGB2+ doesn't handle 50hz on input, which most PAL games use?

XRGB-2+ can handle 50 Hz PAL games without any problems. I live in Spain (EU) and I have used my XRGB-2+ with the most popular consoles and they work pretty well. I also have to say that I�m always using RGB cables with an adaptor I made to use European RGB cables in the XRGB-2+.

XRGB-2+ with SCART (RGB) can handle 50/60Hz games, PAL, PAL 60 and NTSC. I haven�t tested component, composite or S-Video cables...

XRGB-3 is coming...