Does anyone have experience repairing CRT TV's?

Started by KeepGood, February 19, 2011, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeepGood

Hi peeps,

I've got a CRT TV that I've been keeping for an arcade project.   Its also the screen I like to use for retro consoles.  Unfortunately the red colour seems to have died, other colours are still showing.

I'm hoping someone around here has some experience in this field.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on how to repair such a thing? Or if anyone themselves have ideas, lets hear them. :)

Just to get the hazard warning part out of the way.  I understand that if I manage to set fire to my house and/or electrocute myself and my cat in the process of trying to sort this TV, it is completely my own fault. No one else is responsible for me doing something stupid.  :D

As a last note ... Could people try to hold themselves back from posting pointless responses like 'Just buy another one, everyone is getting rid of crt's now'.  I want to try to sort this display (yes, I'm a bit attached to it).  Besides, where is the fun in clicking 'buy it now' when I could be soldering all sorts to the inside of a TV.  ;)

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

NFG

Most of my experience is with arcade CRTs, which are basically the same but probably different enough to be annoying.

If one colour is completely gone, and it happened suddenly, I'd suspect a loose connection first.  Are you using RGB or VGA to connect to it?  I'd suspect the cable first.  Then, open it up and have a look at the connector: plugging and unplugging cables is a good way to stress the connector inside the TV and crack a solder joint.  Then, I'd have a look at the neck board, the PCB that's attached to the narrow end of the tube.  Is it loose?  Try wiggling things and see if it comes back

And yes, the usual warnings apply: if you open your TV you will probably die.  Watch what you touch.  Do your adjustments with a mirror, rather than stretching an arm over the electrocuty bits.

KeepGood

Thanks for your reply Lawrence.

LoL @ 'electrocuty bits'

I'm using an RGB scart lead for connecting to the screen. I've tried multiple systems all with the same result.  The TV was suffering from dry solder joints on the Scart socets a few months ago, I've got that sorted out.  I'll have a look at the neck board shortly.

I'm in the process of cleaning out my workshop today, its a total bomb site at the moment.  I need to make some workspace for the TV.  I'll report back when the thing is on the operating table.

Cheers again for the input, its appreciated. :)

DaveJ-UK

Reflowing solder joints does wonders for CRT's, especially older sets that have a half litre of solder for each joint.

By the time you've discharged the tube, disconnected everything and removed the PCB, you may as well replace all the capacitors - especially if any of them are leaking or bulging. I've resuccrected load of screens just by replacing 50p's worth of caps.