sega genesis model 1 and RGB

Started by kidpanda, August 13, 2011, 09:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidpanda

ok so heres the deal, I've been using an rgb cable with my genesis model 1 for sometime now, and my RGB modded PC-engine Duo-r as well. What ive noticed is that with the genesis on my lcdd tv i get screen tearing every once in awhile, the pce never does it, any ideas? my tv is a 65 inch sharp aquos if that helps, thanks again!

RegalSin

I don't know what you are talking about. All I know is the original MD has a VGA output in it, and the US genesis does not.
So you might be talking about the PAL series. I checked also. That is how serious videogame were in Japan, and how neglected it was in America. From what I know about Euro Video and Audio people, is that most people used Supergun, RGB, and Satelite. So I could only assume the PAL MD ( genesis ) probably has an output for VGA on it.

The PCE was NTSC ( as all video machines are ) to begin with. Also while their is RGB built in for attachments like arcade or x device, that is canceled by the Composite standard for the original PCE, which looks great on a good display of the time.
I am unaware of the later models of the PCE. I do know they have the optional support built in.

kendrick

Are you sure about the Megadrive having a VGA output? That'd be a 30 kHz horizontal frequency, which most game systems of the time absolutely did not produce. In the standard RGB signalling, you get 15 kHz. All Megadrive and Genesis units should output RGB.

It's possible that you remember the 9-pin connector on the back of the JPN-region Megadrive, which if I remember correctly was used as a connector for data peripherals and not as a video output.

By way of explanation, screen tearing describes a situation where two frames are displayed at the same time. A common example would be a situation where in a side scroller, a sprite is cut in half and is displayed in two slightly different positions, so that they don't line up. If I had to guess, I would say that kidpanda's LCD screen is losing synch for some reason that we have yet to figure out.

ApolloBoy

Quote from: kendrick on September 17, 2011, 02:17:26 AM
Are you sure about the Megadrive having a VGA output? That'd be a 30 kHz horizontal frequency, which most game systems of the time absolutely did not produce. In the standard RGB signalling, you get 15 kHz. All Megadrive and Genesis units should output RGB.

It's possible that you remember the 9-pin connector on the back of the JPN-region Megadrive, which if I remember correctly was used as a connector for data peripherals and not as a video output.

By way of explanation, screen tearing describes a situation where two frames are displayed at the same time. A common example would be a situation where in a side scroller, a sprite is cut in half and is displayed in two slightly different positions, so that they don't line up. If I had to guess, I would say that kidpanda's LCD screen is losing synch for some reason that we have yet to figure out.
RegalSin doesn't know what he's talking about, ignore him. All of his posts across different forums are the same nonsensical garbage.

RegalSin

Quote from: kendrick on September 17, 2011, 02:17:26 AM

That is what I figure what it is. A video port for a computer monitor. I don't understand how the original poster could beusing RGB output when I am sure their is no such port on the back of a Genesis console. That is the only thing that comes to mind. A regular US Genesis has no such port on the back end, at all. RGB means a seperate line being overlaped, not composite

I say that is a VGA port because I was thinking of my earlier computer that used the same exact type of looking port for video display. ( it probably was not VGA but something else, and I could not think of the name ). I believe SEGA was trying to give dedicated support for those people who wanted to use a computer monitor since most game players around that time had support for even television and composite, and was "computer geeks".

What you describe as tearing I have only seen in emulators when I speed up the gameplay, too fast. Or if the unit ( console X ) is not able to use X television sets. The most common problems with displays I heard with a SEGA or NES is the RF sheilding. Some people removes it to get a better picture ( something around those terms ).

I have decided to investigate further, by examing my SEGA systems. OP was talking about the DIN output that supports
RGB. I have used a RF switch threw the DIN before, between various consoles the video will be affected, as well as the sound. So I could only assume the cable is damaged ( or the quality of it is not up to par ), or the video monitor the OP is using is getting interferance, or the machine OP is using just gets that output no matter what. Another thing the OP should try is pluging it into another video device, or use a differnt DIN to see if the same thing occur.

The PCE models in the past I used has DIN connector but are shaped differently.

This is the only thing I could think of on the subject. Anything else will require operation, or expermenting. Like removing a RGB from the television to see if the problem still occurs.

ApolloBoy

Quote from: RegalSin on September 17, 2011, 04:09:50 AM
I don't understand how the original poster could beusing RGB output when I am sure their is no such port on the back of a Genesis console. That is the only thing that comes to mind. A regular US Genesis has no such port on the back end, at all.
LOL, do you ever stop being wrong? How do you explain this then?

NFG

The DB9 connector on early model MegaDrives was a serial port for the MegaModem, not a VGA or RGB port.  Geez, you're leaping to all sorts of ridiculous conclusions.  

You can't read half a book and walk around talking like an expert.  Read it to the end.  =P

kendrick

Regalsin, please review the Genesis/Megadrive AV pinout section of the GamesX wiki before you participate in further discussion on this topic. RGB and other output functions of all generations of 16-bit Sega game hardware is very well understood and completely documented. No experimentation is needed at this time. You can find the pinout description at this link:

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

l_oliveira

Quote from: Lawrence on September 17, 2011, 07:23:29 AM
The DB9 connector on early model MegaDrives was a serial port for the MegaModem, not a VGA or RGB port.  Geez, you're leaping to all sorts of ridiculous conclusions.  

You can't read half a book and walk around talking like an expert.  Read it to the end.  =P

Best part about it is that the EXT port is actually a third controller port.

All MD controller ports have a serial mode, which means you can hook the MEGA MODEM even on the controller ports on the front if you make an gender adapter for the DB9 pin header...  (Actually the second game of the Trouble Shooter series can detect a modem or controller in either of the three ports... :)  )

kendrick

I remember reading about the serial port mode in a couple of the spec documents. That's how you get console-to-console communication in Herzog Zwei, right? I wonder if you get the same function out of the extra controller ports in the multi-tap, or out of the J-cart connectors on the Micro Machines cartridge.