PS2 RGB not working

Started by blackevilweredragon, July 04, 2007, 03:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackevilweredragon

My HDTV supports RGB over it's Component jacks, which I find highly convenient...

so, since the RGB pins are the same as the component pins, I figured this would work..

however, when in the PS2 system preferences, in Component mode, the TV says "COMPONENT 1 - 480i/60Hz"..  however, as soon as I hit RGB, the screen goes blue and the TV says "SOG 2 - ERROR"..

what am I forgetting?

NFG

Weird that the error specifically points to sync-on-green as the problem.  The PS2 does output SOG, maybe the TV doesn't like it?

NeWmAn

PS2 outputs RGB with SOG only in progressive mode, in 15KHZ mode the sync is mixed with the video.

blackevilweredragon

the TV had a firmware update that allows it to automatically detect if it's y/pr/pb or RGB...

ok, so it's only sync on green if it's in progressive scan?  that stinks...  is there any way to force it to do it in 480i?

blackevilweredragon

QuoteWeird that the error specifically points to sync-on-green as the problem.  The PS2 does output SOG, maybe the TV doesn't like it?
TV manual states:

QuoteThe Component inputs on the TV also are capable of receiving RGB, with the sync on the green line.  The TV will automatically detect which format is being inputted by looking for an overscan black/gray area.  If the TV detects a slight shade of gray in the overscan area, only on the green line, it's Component.  If it detects a slight shade of gray in the overscan area, on all three, it's RGB.

This algorithm is proven to be quite effective, and should work without any issues, as there's usually always a blank overscan area at the very edge of the picture.  If however, the TV incorrectly detects the picture for whatever reason, go into the Menu > Video Setup > Component > Overides > and then select RGB or Component.  This setting can either be saved or temporary used, as the TV will ask so on-screen.

Endymion

Toss in a game that has a progressive mode, enable it (hopefully button-presses), and see if it works.

What TV is that by the way? My Panasonic can switch to RGB over the component in even though it has a D-sub for it, it can take VGA levels through it as well, and sync on green as well as composite video. Been real handy that way.

NeWmAn

Quoteis there any way to force it to do it in 480i?
I don't think it's possible without some additional circuitry or modifications to the encoder chip.

Anyway, If your tv can show component and the PS2 can output component, what's the point in trying to get RGB?

blackevilweredragon

QuoteToss in a game that has a progressive mode, enable it (hopefully button-presses), and see if it works.

What TV is that by the way? My Panasonic can switch to RGB over the component in even though it has a D-sub for it, it can take VGA levels through it as well, and sync on green as well as composite video. Been real handy that way.
It's a Prima HT2778P..  be warned:  There are MANY revisions of this TV..  This is my second one, and the first one had NO RGB support, and had a different OSD and everything...

blackevilweredragon

Quoteis there any way to force it to do it in 480i?
I don't think it's possible without some additional circuitry or modifications to the encoder chip.

Anyway, If your tv can show component and the PS2 can output component, what's the point in trying to get RGB?
I always thought RGB was better than Component...

Endymion

I've not seen any visible difference, so the real difference between them is functional. If it's easier to get RGB or VGA then use it, if not the go component. By the way, are we certain that the PS2 does not sync on green at interlaced modes? I really don't think that's right, the PS1 did sync on green as well, why would they change it on the PS2, only for VGA modes? They never "supported" the VGA modes that the PS2 could do anyway.

blackevilweredragon

hmm, when i play a progressive scan game, I obviously can't see the picture at boot, but remembering the keystrokes to enable progressive scan, with RGB enabled, the TV then says "SOG 2 - VGA/480P", and I get a working picture..

no green tints or anything, a good looking picture...

NFG

RGB is better than component, but the difference is pretty small.  You'd have to have either amazing eyes, an amazing TV, or be really really pathetic to care.  If you've got a no-name TV there's every chance it won't matter a whit.

blackevilweredragon

Prima TV's use picture tubes from Samsung, so it's not name brand..  (but it aint no slim fit, that's for sure)...

The picture seems slightly better, in the blues..

Endymion

Another question, how are you booting VGA mode in your PS2? Xploder? Wouldn't you necessarily be booting component progressive without a hack forced somehow?

blackevilweredragon

QuoteAnother question, how are you booting VGA mode in your PS2? Xploder? Wouldn't you necessarily be booting component progressive without a hack forced somehow?
im not booting VGA..

my TV seems to think that if it's 480p and sync on green, it must be VGA..  the progressive scan mode is the ones built into games..

Endymion

Well, I guess I am asking, how are you getting 480p and sync on green, i.e. VGA? To the best of my knowledge the PS2 doesn't do that without forcing a hack? Xploder, Matrix Infinity or O2 mod chip? So, how are you doing this? What PS2 game actually has a VGA mode?

blackevilweredragon

QuoteWell, I guess I am asking, how are you getting 480p and sync on green, i.e. VGA? To the best of my knowledge the PS2 doesn't do that without forcing a hack? Xploder, Matrix Infinity or O2 mod chip? So, how are you doing this? What PS2 game actually has a VGA mode?
i honestly don't know...  the game doesn't say it supports sync on green...

the picture does keep "blueing" out time to time, so it might be lacking a sync, and for some reason the TV tries to put an image on the screen..  (and after looking closely, it does seem like the picture does the hula very slowly)

Darklegion

Sync on green is always enabled when in 480p, regardless of the colour mode chosen in the ps2 browser.So, yes you can get VGA without a hack, if the game supports 480p and you have RGB enabled in the browser.

blackevilweredragon

UPDATE:  The blueing out of the TV is now fixed..  I had to force enable RGB mode (on the TV), it was constantly detecting between RGB and Component, and was having a hard time detecting..  Oddly, the hula dancing of the screen, was just caused by my record player accidentally being turned on (must have hit it or something)..

NeWmAn

QuoteRGB is better than component, but the difference is pretty small.  You'd have to have either amazing eyes, an amazing TV, or be really really pathetic to care.  If you've got a no-name TV there's every chance it won't matter a whit.

I think that most of the people wouldn't notice, unless they are presented with 2 equal TVs (perfectly calibrated) to compare.

Moreover I've read that all the TVs with some form of digital effects/features convert any signal to component before doing the 'digital' work.
If that's true, then using RGB could be worse than component, because of the additional conversion needed.

Quotethe PS1 did sync on green as well...
Are you sure about that? :blink:  

Endymion

Well that was the justification that everybody's favourite Redmond Cable gave me for the insane price on their PS1 cable.

blackevilweredragon

well, my TV had another new firmware update (last one apparently, due to the TV being discontinued....) and the Sync on Green support was removed for the following reason:  "Put's unneeded stress on the scaler chip."

what a piss poor excuse..  now I lost RGB support, because stupid me, forgot to save the old .bin file...  (EEPROM chip on a socket, can remove..  i get updates from a friend who has service access to the stuff)..