SNES PAL Switching to 50/60 without a switch

Started by simonbelmont2, January 24, 2010, 08:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbelmont2

What I need is when I put a PAL/NTSC game on my PAL console to change the frequency without a switch to be 50 or 60 Hz.
For the CIC with the protection I will put the switch from the RF (CH3-CH4).
Does anybody know how to do this or have an schematic?

Thanks!

Kirurishii

The thing I'm working on, is something that'd be an autoswitching SNES, 50hz and region on when inserted a PAL game that's to be used on the PAL SNES, and switching to 60hz and region off when a NTSC cart is used.

I'm kind of going on where this topic ends. I think it's possible, but one need a bit more info concerning the hardware used between a PAL and a NTSC Snes.. A fully autoswitching should be possible.

I'm trying to achieve this using pin and pad 10 from the CIC, combined with a 74H74 or other flipflop IC, perhaps the region change will be done using the mod where pin 8 and pin 10 is switched using an H04 inverter, otherwise a switch using pin and pad 4 in the process as well.

Pin 10 of the CIC will send 5volt to pin 34 off PPU2 when the cart and snes CIC matches, it will give 0volt when there's no match. Seperate pin 10 from te board, and use the same pin 10 to send a High or low to an IC, when select is High, then the further routed pin 10 will connect to pad10, and will send 5volts thru a resistor to pin 30 and 24 on PPU2 and PPU1. When select is Low, then either pin 4 from U10 (silver surfers mod) is switched to pad10 (this works, however pin4 sends more than 5 volts to the PPU, which in returns gets really warm in the process risking a burned out processor, Phreak knows what I mean for what I read about on his switchless SNES topic a while ago. I'm still searching and trying to find out what kind of 5 volts the pin10 sends, since any other 5 volts don't work. Currently I try to use an oscilloscope to read out the signal, but I haven't been succesfull yet). The other possibility is to also switch the safe method of en- and disabling pin 4 with pad 4.

I intentially use the pad4 on this because it's my goal to create a snes that actually will be able to play ALL snes games, from all regions. So far it's possible to use a hacked ntsc MarioRPG on an unmodded PAL, the goals is to create an autoswitching SNES using the NTSCsnes signals, to PAL hardware. Simply replacing the CIC doesn't work, since the hardware between a NTSC and PAL SNES actually do differ alot. Where NTSC uses a h04 inverter, PAL uses an SCLK signal. The cartCIC of a NTSC is a 4bit counter, of a PAL I still haven't figured out what it is, or does.

yet.

The ultimate mod will be realised once we know what kind of signals the SNES CIC exactly sends and gets from both NTSC and PAL systems, it's not too hard to program a PIC to send the correct signal to the SCLK and PPU2, by checking out the signal it gets from the used cart.

[edit] Perhaps I can already realise this by using a PIC, programmed with the NTSC protocols, directly over the PAL CIC, bypassing the SCLK and the concerning pads when a NTSC cart is used... It can't work together, the one CIC will always interupt the other, that's why in a PAL console a donor cartCIC can't be set parallel over the connector pins, besides, why kill a console every time one does perform a mod like this..

Kirurishii

Quote from: simonbelmont2 on January 24, 2010, 08:38:26 PM
What I need is when I put a PAL/NTSC game on my PAL console to change the frequency without a switch to be 50 or 60 Hz.
For the CIC with the protection I will put the switch from the RF (CH3-CH4).
Does anybody know how to do this or have an schematic?

Thanks!

Oh, to use the switch from the RF, that'll be very tough. Since the switch is a very tiny thingy, soldered on a very tiny pcb, as well as to the metal plating surrounding the RF. It will be very hard to disconnect the switch from the RF circuit, without doing some damage of somekind to the switch, not to mention to use it as CIC switch, it's mighty hard to remove the whole RF thing without doing serious damage to the metal housing and the RF board while you still need all of that to put the switch back after you rewired the whole thing for CIC use..
It can be done, sure, but be careful, when you try to open up the thing, you'll see what I mean, be carefull not to rip off that bridge right under the powerconnector..