error on xvi compact when booting a floppy disk

Started by Goran, December 19, 2015, 12:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goran

I had to try some Things on the xvi compact of my brother. and when I got it i Forget the tool and huma disk.
I made one on my pc an when i put the disk in it camed this error.

thougt ist maybe because of the floppy disk and then tried after the floppy disk from my brother that worked.

some games and toool and human disk. The error still Comes :-(

can soemone help me. What does the error mean?

Goran

The errors tranlated i think are:

not enough flash RAM or so (SIMMS)

BUS error has occured
quit<A> retry< > ignore< > ?
BR

msxtrd

Goran

With iphone it didnt work.
I uploaded them on my pc. Will upload them again  :(

Goran

here are the Pictures again

Goran

a friend thinks that I should  change the battery on the Mainboard. what do you think?

Psygnosis8

I got similar errors in my compact (I have 2) and the drives were bad.  We swapped the drives out to have one compact with 2 good drives and it works now.  (one of the "bad" drives was fine. The ribbon cable had just been pulled out.)

I don't know if that's gonna be the solution for you or not...

Goran

Thanks

My brother has 2 compacts. One dead and one that works

Is it possible if you put not good floppy dosks that it danages the floppy drive?

Psygnosis8

Putting a bad disk in the machine won't hurt it.  It just vomits the disk out and gives you the floppy error.

Changing the battery on the board won't help.  That's only useful if your switch.x settings delete when you turn the power off for awhle.

Don't clear the SRAM unless you've got a Human 68k disk and a working drive 0.  Then you really will have a problem.

I suggest performing a compact flash or SD card mod.  That way you can bypass the disk drive altogether.  There are instructions for that in the X68000 portion of this site.  It's tougher to do on a compact, but also better in some ways than modding a full-sized unit.  Since the SCSI enclosure is external, you put multiple hard disk images on different CF cards and swap them out at will.  You'll be able to play a wider variety of games that way.  (for some reason, some games won't work on one image, but will on another, so it's good to have options).  Of course, the smarter people on this site can make multiple partitions on one CF card, but that's a bit above my head...

caius

The error screen is 100% due a faulty floppy drive, Human OS has to "see" both FDDs to properly boot.I has the same issue with my CompactXVI some years ago so I totally remove the FDDs and did the CF mod.Later I installed an HxC SD floppy emulator inside.

Psygnosis8

Quote from: caius on December 21, 2015, 01:39:39 AM
The error screen is 100% due a faulty floppy drive, Human OS has to "see" both FDDs to properly boot.I has the same issue with my CompactXVI some years ago so I totally remove the FDDs and did the CF mod.Later I installed an HxC SD floppy emulator inside.

Mine had a broken FDD 1.  It was such a C$%#tease because it would start to load, get me all psyched up, then crash.  Single disk games, like Bomberman, booted up no problem. There's only really 2 games I want to play with the FDD anyway, Granada and Mahaou Daisakouteonsnkgoi or whatever, but it's worth it to have them working.  Especially for Granada.