pal gamecube to ntsc tv

Started by desidude, July 22, 2005, 09:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desidude

hi all. i have come 2 america with my english gamecube and when i connect, the picture appears in black and white. i have the 2 cables: the red yellow white one(sorry dunno the names) with a scart adaptor and i have the one with one pin and it connects to the aerial output on the back of the tv like the n64 used. i really want to get playing on it in colour so pls can sumone help. is there a way to do this without having to go and buy something??
thanks in advance

phreak97

if your tv supports component or rgb, you can get a component or rgb cable from lik-sang.com or play-asia.com then your colour will work. (not 100% sure if pal gamecubes output rgb, but component will work)
if that isnt an option, there are some (not too many) vcr's which do the conversion from one video format to another.. i guess you could go shopping for one of these, then youll use the yellow, white, and red rca plugs.

Cyber Axe

PAL gamecubes output RGB by default unlike NTSC cubes which need modding

RF (the ariel connection) and Composite (the yellow red white connection) wont work because they are outputing in PAL colours however there are some things around that ive seen that can convert the signals but they cost quite a bit so your better with teh below options

like phreak97 suggests your best to get an RGB or component cable (you should definatly get component if your tv supports it else RGB which should be supported if your tv is anything newer other than ancient)

be warey of getting an rgb cable from lik-sang although there cheap soetimes with cheaper cables like that you may need to fix something (ive had to do that with a few cables not all from lik-sang though) though any problems are usualy easy to fix

Schweino

I know RGB takes care of the PAL- NTSC color issue, but does component too? And mind that you might own some PAL games which are PAL 50Hz only, they can give you trouble too on a NTSC (60Hz) TV. I would recommend you to get a NTSC gamecube, and use a freeloader to play the 60Hz enabled PAL games.

viletim!

QuoteI know RGB takes care of the PAL- NTSC color issue, but does component too?

Yup. In the video processing chain (IF-video-svideo-component-RGB) the colour decoding is done straight after s-video.

phreak97

sorry Schweino.. but i disagree.. that is entirely pointless if you can use component or rgb.. youre saying, buy two things which together will be hopelessly more expensive, and will do exactly the same thing. also, there ARE ntsc tvs out there which will do 50hz.. and there are very few pal games which do not do 60hz.

To enter 60Hz mode on a pal game: hold B after the gamecube logo has finished doing it's thing.. itll come up asking you to choose 50 or 60.. choose 60.

there arent too many games which dont support this.

plus, if you do buy just a freeloader, and keep the pal cube.. you can still play american games.

Schweino

Quoteplus, if you do buy just a freeloader, and keep the pal cube.. you can still play american games.
But you won't be able to see the gamecube's UI, since it will be in 50Hz, unless he has one of them 50Hz capable NTSC TVs (which i never came across).