Trying to understand different cable types.

Started by panzeroceania, September 15, 2009, 09:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzeroceania

ok so I read this old post

http://www.avforums.com/forums/interconnects-speaker-cables-switches/43445-component-vs-rgb-scart-vs-svideo-vs-composite.html

and also was looking at various cable manufacturers websites and trying to wrap my head around it all.

How does a European SCART compare to a Japanese RGB-21 cable?

Can I mod my Master System, Mega Drive, Super Famicom, Saturn etc. to output a video signal that can be used with a cable that ends with Component (either 3 rca plugs or 3 bnc plugs) in either RGB or YPbPr color formats?

Can I mod my systems to have standard component (either 3 RCA or 3 BNC) female jacks on the back of the system so I can use any stock cable with the system?

The same question applies for installing Stereo audio (either 2RCA or 2 XLR) female jacks on the system for audio output.

An expansion dock or array would probably have to be attached to the rear of the console to allow enough spacing between the different ports and so ensure that they were housed securely.

albino_vulpix

Quote from: panzeroceania on September 15, 2009, 09:14:58 AM
ok so I read this old post

http://www.avforums.com/forums/interconnects-speaker-cables-switches/43445-component-vs-rgb-scart-vs-svideo-vs-composite.html

and also was looking at various cable manufacturers websites and trying to wrap my head around it all.

How does a European SCART compare to a Japanese RGB-21 cable?

Essentially, the only difference is that the signals are assigned to different pins.

Can I mod my Master System, Mega Drive, Super Famicom, Saturn etc. to output a video signal that can be used with a cable that ends with Component (either 3 rca plugs or 3 bnc plugs) in either RGB or YPbPr color formats?

Most consoles, and in fact, all those you listed, already output RGB from the AV socket. You can find the appropriate cables on eBay. As for YPbPr, you're best bet is to buy a JROK converter and connect the RGB to that.

Can I mod my systems to have standard component (either 3 RCA or 3 BNC) female jacks on the back of the system so I can use any stock cable with the system?

Certainly. Just run a wire from the AV port to the back of an RCA or a BNC connector and mount it in the case.

The same question applies for installing Stereo audio (either 2RCA or 2 XLR) female jacks on the system for audio output.

Yes, you can do that too.

An expansion dock or array would probably have to be attached to the rear of the console to allow enough spacing between the different ports and so ensure that they were housed securely.

panzeroceania

Rather than creating another topic, I thought I would continue my questions about understanding cables here.

The next topic I have a question on is the Mega Drive 2 pinout.

I understand what most of the pins are for, but not all.

obviously the RGB are for the 3 video channels
the two stereo pins are the stereo audio
the mono pin is for mono audio
the composite pin is for composite video

the ones I am not as clear on are the

+5V DC, I'm assuming this has something to do with power but what is it used for? and if I was breaking the cable into individual cables (like a 5 connector BNC with RGB-HV) what would I do with it?

then there is

Sync, is the the H sync that is found in VGA and BNC RGB-HV? or is it something else? if I was breaking this into BNC-HV 5 connectors would I just make this the H-sync? what would happen if I didn't plug this into anything?

EDIT:

also what is the ground for in the Genesis 1 pinout? what happens if you do not connect it to anything?

NFG

Quote+5V DC, I'm assuming this has something to do with power but what is it used for?
If you don't need it, don't use it.

QuoteSync, is the the H sync that is found in VGA and BNC RGB-HV?
This is  composite sync.  You'll need this or composite video depending on your display.

Quotealso what is the ground for in the Genesis 1 pinout?
Same thing it's for in every single electrical circuit ever, basically.  Go look up basic electricity theory.  Do it now.  No more questions until you know this one.  =P

panzeroceania

:D

ok well I knew it was for grounding, like the 3rd plug in an electrical socket, I just didn't understand why there would be a grounding wire in the AV port (something that I thought would only be in the AC port) but I shall continue my research, thanks for the answers, though, very useful.

I see this gentleman here got the pinout information from you guys and also compiles information from other sites in a neat little page, interesting stuff (although most of it is already here)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm

Heffa

Actually, earth and ground are not always exactly the same...

The third plug in your AC socket is earth (and I know you americans calls that ground, or power ground, as well), that's there so you won't get fried if you get a short-circuit in the electric do-hickey.
The ground connector in your megadrive connector is the 0V (or signal ground) that the (DC) circuits are using to actually work.

To make things more complicated, earth and ground can be connected, but that's another story.

panzeroceania

Quote from: Heffa on October 09, 2009, 03:48:00 PM
Actually, earth and ground are not always exactly the same...

The third plug in your AC socket is earth (and I know you americans calls that ground, or power ground, as well), that's there so you won't get fried if you get a short-circuit in the electric do-hickey.
The ground connector in your megadrive connector is the 0V (or signal ground) that the (DC) circuits are using to actually work.

To make things more complicated, earth and ground can be connected, but that's another story.

thanks, I know I sounded like an idiot when I asked but I know what ground in the AC socket is for, I just wondered what it would do in an A/V port.

I'm not talking about the ground in the power port on the megadrive, but the one in the A/V pinout, which is what you would plug into your television. What purpose is there to having a ground line into your TV?

kendrick

Electrically, ground is the reference point. Standard electrical circuits route from live to ground, or from positive to negative. In the case of an analogue signal like a video or audio line, the ground line tells the input device how the voltage difference is measured. Otherwise, there's no circuit to complete and therefore there's no data. Connecting an RF lead, a composite video line or some other signal connection has to include a ground line that's shared between the game machine and the output screen, otherwise they can't communicate.

panzeroceania

thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for :)