SNES RGB

Started by kripp, December 28, 2005, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kripp

I got bored after making an RGB cable for my Genesis/Sega CD, so I decided to make one for the SNES I bought today for $7...

I'm glad I did not have to include a resistor on the sync line for the SNES, I don't think I could have made it fit! Its pretty tight inside that AV hood!

Enjoy

NFG

That's pretty nice work.  I normally put the components in the DB9 hood, but it seems there's more room in the Nintendo end.  

Is the cable glued to the stress relief, or do you have trouble with it pulling out of the SNES hood?

kripp

I removed the video line from a standard SNES AV cord and added in another cable from an Atari joystick (only thing I had with enough wires). The Atari cable is much thicker than the AV cable video line, I had to lube up the Atari cable with spit and force it through the rubber stress relief. Those three cables are in there tighter than you could imagine, they are going nowhere anytime soon. The SNES hood snaps right back into place, nothing looks out of the ordinary. No glue or anything else holding things in place/together.

Its hard to tell by the pictures, but in the SNES end there are only two capacitors (blue and green lines). The third capacitor for the red line is in DB9 end, there was not enough room for three capacitors in the SNES end.

Now I'm off to the electronics store to pick up some goodies, I've got another 4 days off work and another 6 consoles to add RGB too!

Thanks

Sorry to be off-topic, but I've looking for a thread where there were pics and explanations about how to open the scart plug of a PAL SNES, and I can't find it anymore. Can anyone help me out please?

NFG

I have no idea how opening a SCART plug can be considered a challenge for anyone with working eyes.  Maybe you could tell us why yours is so tricky?

Well, it might look obvious to you, but I can tell you that I can't find how to open it!

I remember a topic here where there was a guy telling where to push/pull in order to open the plastic casing.

Endymion

There's a cylindrical collar that acts as a nut holding the casing together. Unscrew this and it will go loose down the cable. Then just pry the seam of the casing apart.

Vertigo

QuoteI have no idea how opening a SCART plug can be considered a challenge for anyone with working eyes.  Maybe you could tell us why yours is so tricky?
His eyes be fine, his brain be the problem.
QuoteI'm glad I did not have to include a resistor on the sync line for the SNES, I don't think I could have made it fit! Its pretty tight inside that AV hood!
Mate, you do realise that there are two ends to your cable and hence two places you could situate extra bits, right? I'm not even a genius.
QuoteThere's a cylindrical collar that acts as a nut holding the casing together. Unscrew this and it will go loose down the cable. Then just pry the seam of the casing apart.
That sounds sooooooo homoerotic.

Endymion

QuoteThere's a cylindrical collar that acts as a nut holding the casing together. Unscrew this and it will go loose down the cable. Then just pry the seam of the casing apart.
That sounds sooooooo homoerotic.
If you're a hermaphrodite maybe.

Hey wait we actually have titles for that now . . .

LuxKiller65

QuoteHis eyes be fine, his brain be the problem.
The g33k has spoken. Right, my question wasn't that clever but it's been asked before and nobody said it was dumb.

:ph34r:  

Petor

So, how exactly did you perform this mod?? Do you have a guide?

kripp

No guide, but all the information you need is on the GameSX WiKi. I just decided to do things this way because I like a clean look, and I'm not big on the idea of hacking a hole into the case of my consoles.

Thanks.

excelsior

Sorry to reply many years later, but I saw this topic today.

Can I connect snes rgb to a vga connector? Can i connect red, green and blue return as a ground?

Thank you very much.

Sorry for the very bad english.

fireaza

If you want an easy way to get RGB on your SNES, just buy a SCART cable and plug it into a SCART to component converter box. Make sure you get one designed for your region, as PAL and NTSC SCART cables are different. Of the top of my head, there's a guy on eBay who makes SNES SCART cables designed for PAL consoles, and for NTSC SNES, you can use a PAL (yes, PAL) GameCube SCART cable). That's what I use for my two SNESs.

kendrick

Quote from: excelsior on July 04, 2012, 01:52:38 PM
Can I connect snes rgb to a vga connector? Can i connect red, green and blue return as a ground?

Welcome to GamesX. You can use a 15-pin connector for the RGB output, but that will not produce a 31 kHx VGA signal. You should have a look at the GamesX RGB primer here for more information:

http://nfggames.com/atarilabs/meat/2000/1201_rgbprimer.shtml

excelsior

Thank you for replying, guys. Kendrick, I bought yesterday a CGA/VGA converter [GBS-8200] to solve this problem, and another Snes to do this. They will deliver in 7~9 days. Until then, I will trying to  figure out about these pins that i said before.

excelsior

I connected my Snes to RGB successfully. Can I make a tutorial based on contents found here to brazilian portuguese, citing the source? Sorry for that crap english wrote here.
Thanks.

NFG

Yes, you can.  Share what you learned.  =)

excelsior

Thank you very much. I just uploaded a video on youtube.
Snes em RGB sem cabo scart
My username there is starfleetexcelsior. I'll need two AV cables to make a RGB cable. Next week I'll work on that.

Europemodder

I solder 3 wires from S-ENC chip to my TV, but image flickers sideways, check my video here:

http://youtu.be/sh2kpehg15M

Do you have any help?
No problems on my power supply or TV.

excelsior

I never used this chip, but I found this.

http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=74

Maybe this article can help you.

excelsior

This RGB cable works properly on a NTSC Snes, but not on a PAL-M Snes (made by Playtronic/Gradiente). Something is wrong with the contrast.