Simulated Stereo NES

Started by phiridan, January 09, 2006, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phiridan

I've Goolgled this for a while now and I can't find the exact directions for it. I've found many links to Chris C(?)'s site but I always get the "File Not Found."

Could someone please post a working link or just post the directions on "how to get simulated stereo out of a toaster NES." Thanks

phiridan

I also want to know how to put the pots in between, to mix the separated sound (from the board) with the original mono signal. Thanks

kendrick

A good number of retro gaming sites have gone down this past year, for one reason or another. Chris Covell's NES tech site had the authoritative guide on the stereo NES mod, but you'll have to go to the archive.org copy of it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030104135603/.../nesstereo.html

In a nutshell, it's not a very satisfying mod. I've tried it in emulation, and what it amounts to is music out of one speaker, and sound effects (and maybe the rhythm track) out of the other. Somebody out there did a more intelligent mod that actually separated certain wavelengths and sound effects depending on what the video output was doing at the time, but that's probably a level of programming way off topic for this forum. Anyway, that link above has pictures and should probably be added to the wiki by somebody less lazy than I am. :)

-KKC, who just cleaned up his gaming room.

phiridan

That's the one!! Thanks Kendrick!

By the way, would 100k ohm pots be okay instead of the 47k's? Or would that be too much?

kendrick

The potentiometer serves to reduce volume by increasing resistance, so theoretically there can't really be too much. It's more an aesthetic limitation than anything else, since past a certain resistance there won't be any sound past about half-way on the dial. A higher pot value is generally no problem.

-KKC, who just got his Dreamcast demo kiosk working happily.

phiridan

Where can I tap into the composite video? I'm looking in the RF/power area, and I can't figure out which one it is? (I really need to invest in multimeter!)

You can check out my full website Here.

Chris C.