Component Video

Started by Segasonicfan, September 22, 2004, 12:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segasonicfan

Is it possible to hookup component video to a Sega CDX?  I'm not sure  how component works really, but it lists the green input as Y, do they mean luma?  Any info on this would be great! Thanks.

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

Considering the CDX has no inputs or display I dunno why you'd want to hook component video to it...

If you're asking if it's possible to get component FROM it, yes, of course it's possible, but necessity is the mother of invention.  If you don't need component (or even know what it is, despite the plethora of primers on my sites) why are you asking?

The other answer is "Sure, add a transcoder."

D-Lite

Well, the short answer is "yes".  

The long answer, you already know.  Working with the innards of a CDX is the height of self-torture.  Basically you need an encoder/transcoder from RGB, which you can even get from the external port of the box.  Trouble is, find a good, reasonably priced unit.

Kurtz's RGB->Component board is almost ready. so theoretically yes on any console that outputs RGB (all of them)

P.S. D-Lite's extreme love of Bonk is disturbing

Pocket Mods are-not GAWDS.

PPS. You use the "idiot" smiley way too much

PPPS. It's wrong to absure retards like that

Segasonicfan

Lawrence, there's no reason to be rude.  Your primers don't explain compenent video in great detail, I have read them.

Thanks D-Lite, that's all I wanted to know.  My TV has component inputs and since the quality is higher than S-Video I might as well make use of it.  I'll look for an encoder and make a special cable for it connecting to my RGB lines.  I just wanted to know if it was possible, don't worry I'm not shoving anything else in there :P

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

QuoteLawrence, there's no reason to be rude.
If you can point out exactly where I was rude I'd be happy to show you why you're mistaken.

D-Lite

QuoteKurtz's RGB->Component board is almost ready. so theoretically yes on any console that outputs RGB (all of them)

What NG.com troll is this?

And Kurtz has already finished some.....  :D  

Guesty MacGuest.

QuoteKurtz's RGB->Component board is almost ready. so theoretically yes on any console that outputs RGB (all of them)

What NG.com troll is this?

And Kurtz has already finished some.....  :D
lol yep. one's on his way to roger right now.  

*can't wait to see what it looks like in his consolized

atom

forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

D-Lite

QuoteWhose kurtz?
Jeff M. Kurtz

If you go to the Neo-Geo.com forums and check around the Tech Support forum, you'll see who he is.  Well, first off, he is the moderator of the Tech forum.  But mostly you'll see that he is the guy that people trust the most to do things to their Neo's and many other systems.  I'm not 100% sure, but he was instrumental in the development of what many refer to as the "Neo Geo AES-style" S-Video modification.  Also put together the 4x Debug Bios for Neo's.

He has created/developed an RGB-> Component (and S-Video and composite) encoder that he will be offering for sale in the near future.  You can follow the drama at his site:

www.neobitz.com

Pre-ordering is beginning now.

So who are you Mr. NG.com troll?  Come on, spit it out.  Who is Roger?  Not Roger from Hayward.....?

I_hate_fatguy

lol who else would I be talking about but 300wins?

D-Lite

Quotelol who else would I be talking about but 300wins?
Well that's who I figured Roger was.  Why does Roger want one?  He keeps buyig parts for superguns and whatnot and always ends up selling them.

But who is this?  butta?  Stinky-D?  Apparently a chat room regular.  ROT?

Captian Oblivious

No Idea. Maybe Roger wants a fourth supergun.

D-Lite

Scanline you jackass.

Lawrence feel free to kick this guy's ass.

The Scanman

Scanline you jackass.

Lawrence feel free to kick this guy's ass.
When is Jeff going to post some more in depth info like board pics and screen caps anyway?

Jackass is such a strong word  <_<

I prefer terms like the "non-retarded wopat" and "he who makes Wayne cry".  :blink:  

NFG

This thread is getting silly, knock it off.  

<glare>

D-Lite

Back on topic, the meathead posting above actually is sending me a Keene Transcoder.  Anyone have any experience with that or even the JS Transcoders?

QuoteBack on topic, the meathead posting above actually is sending me a Keene Transcoder.  Anyone have any experience with that or even the JS Transcoders?
Dean MacDragqueen: The Keene and JSTech both do a really excellent job if I understand the difference correctly the Keene encoder weighs the signal for YUV while the JSTech weighs it for commercial YPbPr leaving the keen colors slightly understated but that can be fixed 100% by just tweaking the tv set your using it on a little bit. :D

Later,

Scan0  

Oh and people claim there's a slight difference in color tint but I've used both for a long time and there's no such issue between them. Just a minor difference in vibrancy that you can fix with the remote in 0.2 seconds.