Using Sharp Floppy Disks XVI

Started by Hoagtech, November 01, 2018, 05:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagtech

I just bought a crapload of broken x68000 games and i was wondering how I boot them.

hyrulebr

With the computer turned off put the first disk in drive 0 and turn on the machine. If the disk and the drive are working fine you will see the human os boot and after the game will load the drives, etc. some games have more than a disc and you can receive a message to insert next disk. All the 2 or more disks games that I tested so far uses both drives (0 and 1). So both should work to play these games.

If you see a Japanese message in a white box with a disk icon, well your drive isn’t reading or your disk is dirt or bad. Try to clean it. These 5 1/4 disk cleaners worked to me.

Have fun with this old stuff! 😀

Hoagtech

I dont think your link came through for the cleaning of the disks.

also do you have a process?

I was thinking of ripping open one side and reglueing or cutting and removing the disc wheel and cleaning the internal pad.

I was going to use alcohol the and and a lithium grease for dryness on the inside auth part.

I have no idea what I'm doing and would love to not restore some of these.

So far out of the broken ones i have been able to get running just by wiping with baby wipes.

Gradius (no sound tho)

VGA 1 Terra Cresta (how do I play Moon Cresta? it just boots right to Terra Cresta)

Dead Ash

VGA 3 Star Force

Knight of Iron (I don't own a mouse though)

and I forgot the name of the other 2 but I have 1 and 2 and I think its like a sex space lady point and click game? (into the deep or something)

I would love to get more running but I either get a garbled start screen, a Kanji Message with a hand holding a disk, Or kanji with the options (A) (R) (I)

Any help with disk restoration tips would be greatly appreciated.

hyrulebr

Oh, you are trying to cleaning the disks, not the drive!  Sorry for my mistake  :-[

I don't know how to (safely) clean a disk. Maybe you can find a tutorial or something that isn't X68000 related. After all a floppy is a floppy.

vanpeebles

Cotton bud and de-ionised water for cleaning the surfaces.