Hi guys. Looking for someone who could convert sega saturn to playstation pad.

Started by DIMMU SAKURABA, August 28, 2008, 03:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DIMMU SAKURABA

I was told that this is a great place to ask this question.

Hey. I was looking up on yahoo for information on being able to mod a sega saturn controller to be able to play on other consoles. I own a Sega Saturn style playstation pad, but its totally worn out now and that thing is almost impossible to buy on the internet. But, sega saturn controllers are very affordable and easy to find. I wonder if someone is able to mod a sega saturn controller to play playstation or ps2 games?

The best case scenario would be someone to make a converter that would be able to convert a real sega saturn controller to play playstation games.  I'd be willing to pay a fair sum of money if someone was to make one for me.

If not, I could send someone a real sega saturn controller and my worn out sega saturn style psx controller.  Take the guts out of the psx controller and put it in the saturn controller. 

I'd like someone who is quite experienced at this and this is really something I wanna do since I haven't been able to play 3rd Strike at my max potential in something like 9 months.  Thanks

NFG

QuoteIf not, I could send someone a real sega saturn controller and my worn out sega saturn style psx controller.  Take the guts out of the psx controller and put it in the saturn controller.
Um, assuming the internal dimensions are the same, and I think they probably are, this is a job that any monkey with a screwdriver could do in about 3 minutes, tops. 

Unless you suffer some hideous, freak-like physical mutation, or are the single laziest man alive, you might as well man up and do it yourself: grab a screwdriver and open it up, see what's in it.

kendrick

I have transplanted the guts out of a 1997-era Saturn controller and stuck it in a USB controller of the same shape from 2005. The innards are quite different; Sega famously continued to revise all their controller designs through the years, applying incremental improvements as they could. I ended up having to pad and to insulate some parts in order to get everything to fit properly.

All the same, I agree with Lawrence. At GamesX, we encourage exploration and discovery. You won't hurt anything by opening up the controllers and seeing for yourself what will and will not fit.

DIMMU SAKURABA

LOL, thanks kendrick.  I guess I could try to figure it out.  Though from a perspective from someone who hasn't had experience, I don't exactly feel the same way about it as Lawrence does.  But, I guess I'll experiment.  I'll go purchase a screwdriver I suppose.  Not everybody in the world has exactly opened up a controller before, heh. 

NFG

After I posted that I remembered the extra buttons: yeah, it might not be a straight-across swap, but it's very likely that some components will be straight-across.  Especially if you're just doing a 'refresh' - throw in some new rubber buts under the dpad and buttons and get back to playin'.

...What kind of cardboard box do you live in that doesn't have a screwdriver nearby?

DIMMU SAKURABA

You know what, at first it was a little annoying the way you said it, but I'm glad you made it sound so easy.  Cuz, my goal is finished!  I ended up in a matter of 15 minutes on my first little project modding my sega saturn pad to play psx games.  It works perfectly too!  And to be honest, it really was just a basic palette swap.  Thanks.