Wii RGB cable

Started by ChronoDK, December 11, 2006, 11:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChronoDK

I'm in need of an RGB scart cable for my Wii, but the original cable is too expensive. Is there a way to make my own?

Perhaps by combining this cheap component cable:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-10z-49-en-70-1rch.html

With this cheap component to scart convertor:
http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:Sp88f...lient=firefox-a

Or is that just not possible?

That's impossible -

I have no idea why people think that if you dump something through a SCART adaptor it becomes RGB. Like how people think composite cables plugged into an adaptor like this is actually RGB.

Composite Video > SCART adaptor = COMPOSITE VIDEO
S-Video > SCART adaptor = S-VIDEO
Component Video > SCART adaptor = COMPONENT VIDEO

Just because you change the connector type doesnt mean you're converting/processing the signal into something else entirely.

Bgnome

QuoteThat's impossible -

I have no idea why people think that if you dump something through a SCART adaptor it becomes RGB. Like how people think composite cables plugged into an adaptor like this is actually RGB.

Composite Video > SCART adaptor = COMPOSITE VIDEO
S-Video > SCART adaptor = S-VIDEO
Component Video > SCART adaptor = COMPONENT VIDEO

Just because you change the connector type doesnt mean you're converting/processing the signal into something else entirely.
actually, it has been determined that the RGB signals on the PAL wii use the same contacts as the YPbPr signals.  the only difference is the mode switch.  so, in theory, a straight-thru scart adapter WOULD work with the wii component cable, as long as you break the short on the mode pins.

ChronoDK

That is good news. How does the Wii know when to output RGB, and when to output YPbPr then? Is that the mode switch you are talking about? The only video options in the Wii configuration menu is about resolution and not signal type.

A short and simple guide on how to do what you propose would be much appreciated :)

I'm sorry for being a total newbie on video signal carrying, connector types etc.  

ChronoDK

I think the wiki answered my question:
http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:wii_multi_av_pinout

So I can just break the short on 8&10 and the component cable will output rgb?  

That cannot work Bgnome -

How are you going to get a stable RGB image without the composite video input to pin 20 of the SCART? - You also need the +5v line to connect (via 75ohm resistor) to pin 16 of the SCART or your TV will not flick over to RGB mode (unless you can manually select).

Like I said before - simply sticking different sources into a SCART connector does not suddenly change the format and negate the need for a proper cable.

Furthermore the NTSC Wii without the mode pins shorted flicks two of the Component/RGB pins over to S-Video Luma and Chroma.

NFG

QuoteSo I can just break the short on 8&10 and the component cable will output rgb?
If it's a PAL Wii, yes.  As the wiki says, if you have an NTSC Wii it outputs Svideo, not RGB.