Identifying a moddable N64 system?

Started by Lettuce, April 04, 2004, 03:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettuce

Does anybody know how you can identify a N64 system that can be modded for the RGB picture. I understand that some n64 couldnt be modded, can you tell by looking at the model number of the N64, or do you need to open it up to find out?

DarthCloud

I think that all nintendo 64 ,exept PAL one, can be modded for RGB

Lettuce

Really, i thought i read somewhere that newer systems couldnt be modded

NFG

That's correct, only older systems can be done, and from what I can gather there aren't many old PAL units so you might try and stick with NTSC...

As far as I know there's no external way to tell; perhaps by serial number but I don't know what the cutoff is.  I have a 1st-day .jp unit, so my serial's too low to be any help.  =/

Lettuce

Oh, is it only the later PAL systems that couldnt be modded after a certain age? I thought PAL systems couldnt be modded no matter how old they were. So all NTSC systems can be modded?

NFG

there's no easy rule.  All EARLY NTSC + PAL units can be modded.  Because the PAL unit was released so late there are very few mod-capable units, so you'll probably have better luck with US or JP models.

None of the coloured shell versions from Japan are old models, so avoid these (avoid the pikachu one anyway, it's hideous).

I think the rgb ones mention something about patents pending . the non modable ones list the patent numbers

Endymion

Oh for chrissakes, you mean you need to get a coloured N64 to do the overclock safely, but the fruity N64s don't take to RGB? wtf? Is there a way to tell if a fruity (USA/NTSC) N64 will or will not do RGB with the mod once it's sitting in front of you, or do you have to just connect the thing and pray it works?

I just grabbed one from ebay, hoping to do both the overclock (with a switch) and the RGB mod with it. :(

Lettuce

QuoteI think the rgb ones mention something about patents pending . the non modable ones list the patent numbers
I dont understand

Endymion

What is there not to understand?

When a patent is pending it isn't completed yet, so the earlier products may say "patent pending," the later products would say "patent" and then list the patent numbers.

Lettuce

QuoteWhat is there not to understand?

When a patent is pending it isn't completed yet, so the earlier products may say "patent pending," the later products would say "patent" and then list the patent numbers.
Where it says it? on the label underneth the 64

Guest_thoughtless

well it is my understanding only the 1996 N64's are modable. on the label on the bottom it will say Patents issued and pending  copyright 1996. I only had one 1997 n64 (had to take it apart to tell) and it does not have the chip needed for rgb.  again this is a US unit  

Lettuce

So there'll be quite a high percentage of N64 that cant be modded then!? Surely there must be another way to mod these newer 64's?

NFG

While it's certain there IS a way, no one but Nintendo knows what it is.