Geograph Seal Performance

Started by chadti99, July 28, 2013, 12:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadti99

Hello, this is my first post here, glad to find an english X68000 forum!

So I just picked up Exact's Geograph Seal and while still enjoyable my X68000 Super struggles with running the game.  I'm just curious what the best option is besides emulation to improve performance?  Would an XVI be enough to make a difference with it's 16Mhz cpu or would an Xellent30 upgrade for my Super be sufficient?

SuperDeadite

16mhz is a pretty big improvement over playing it at 10mhz.  It still gets a bit choppy in the later stages (tunnel chase) though.  On an 030 or such, it gets even smoother.

kamiboy

Depending on how it is programme a co-processor might help. But why would you want to spend so much money just to get that game running more smoothly?

It is a more or less unique game to be sure, but still.

BlueBMW

I think the XVI is plenty for it.  The 030 is smoother but not enough to justify the cost of either an 030 system or an xcellent30 board.

RobIvy64

I have a Super with a co-processor, and even with the proper driver installed it makes no difference.
"Console Mods" lurker

chadti99

Thanks for the info guys.  I've made it to stage 4 and I'm still enjoying the game despite the slowdown.  If an XVI comes my way ill give it a try.  If I somehow manage to find an Xellent30 I'll prolly post a comparison video of all three.

SuperDeadite

I wouldn't bother with a Xellent30.  Unless you get really lucky, a full size X68030 will be much cheaper.  I've actually seen X68040 machines go for less then the XVI version Xellent30.   Plus the Xellent of course needs a software changes, etc.  Unless you are truly a hardcore collector, just grab an 030 if you want the speed.

List of games that really benefit from an 030 or faster machine:
Geograph Seal
Mahou Daisakusen
Hellhound
Sion IV
Solwill 2
Super Street Fighter 2
Road Blaster (030 required)
Thunderstorm (030 required)