Problem with Disk Dual

Started by mattd, August 02, 2005, 04:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattd

I couldn't find a better place to post this so I'm sorry if it seems a bit off-topic.

Does anyone here have experience with a Disk Dual device (the CD/Harddrive interface used with the Super Wildcard DX2)?

I just bought a new Disk Dual (I use it through my Super Wildcard DX2) and set it all up and created a CD with a couple valid roms on it and I just get a message "unknown disk" and it spits out the CD.  I've tried burning a cd in all types of formats (ISO9660, JOLIET, UDF) but I still get the same error.  Do I need to burn in some other format?
I was under the impression that it was easy to use with a CD-ROM device (a harddrive is apparently a bit more tricky).  I've tried 2 different CD-ROM devices, an older one and a newer one but I get the same message.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm tired of using multiple floppy disks for the larger roms (ToP anyone?) not to mention I spent a hefty amount for this product in the first place.  I've looked all over the internet for info on this but it's pretty scarce :(

- Matt

kendrick

I haven't used the device in question, so take this at face value... But the file format and file system of the CD isn't as important as the readability of the directory. Have you tried burning a fully Joliet-compatible CD with 8.3 character file names? I'm guessing that this doohickey doesn't recognize all of the various methods used to render the long file names that have cropped up over the years. If you remove all that nonsense and stick to a short filename, you might get a readable disc image.

That's just a guess, and Lawrence will hop on and say that it's a little outside of the scope of his forum once the sun comes up in the land of Olivia Newton-John. But if it works, let us know and we'll file it away in the 'miscellaneous' section of the wiki. :)

-KKC

mattd

Thanks for replying.  Yes, one of the CD's that I burned was the Joliet format.  I figured any file name longer than the old 8.3 standard might give it trouble so I made sure they were all less than that.  There's even a "disk info" option and when I click it, it's supposed to show things like the disk label and # of files.  Well those fields just show up as blank.  It's as if I'm putting a blank cd in the drive.  But it does communicate with the drive so I know that it's not an I/O issue.
Does anyone know of another board where I could post this question?  I know there must be people out there who own this device and have had success.

- Matt

diamond

Hi Mattd,

i got the same problem here and i really dont know how to fix it, cause after burnin maybe 10 cd-rom in all format possible except the good one "i supposed" i am totally loose for now and really need a solution. here is my msn thank you to contact me if you got any idea to fix it : sokyugurentai@hotmail.com

Best Regards,

ido8bit

I haven't used the device in question, but the first thing I would try (if you haven't already) is to burn a completely standard ISO9660 CD with no extensions (Joliet, etc).   Keep all your filenames 8.3 (rename them before burning the CD if necessary) and keep your directory names short (there is a limit on the number of characters in the path name, but I don't remember what it is).

Your CD burning program may be burning an extended CD by default even if you have already renamed your files, so check the advanced options (which may not be available in the cut down "express" versions that are supplied with some drives).