Scart RGB to Component

Started by Waterbury, December 19, 2009, 09:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infinite _Kaos

I recently purchased one from the same vendor, but I'm still waiting for a Saturn SCART cable to arrive in the mail. I'll share my findings when it arrives.

Waterbury

Endymion

Root around in the forum here some more. This device has been discussed in several threads over the years.

Waterbury

THIS particular one? I know there is a device very similar that is $100, but this is a knock off for half price.

Waterbury

BTW, the "official" device I was referring to is the CSY-2100. The ebay listing I posted shows a device that is basically the exact same, just generic with no branding or name. I searched the forums and I see that many people refer to no name converters on ebay, but all the old posts lead to listings that no longer exist, but they seem to be referring to the same device.

Unfortunately, since the device is no named, it is possible that different revisions of the device exist, and as it is a knock off, no guarantee.

Anyway, I found a CSY-2100 on ebay for $25 shipped, so I no longer have stake on how this particular device works. I'm curious though.  ???

RGB32E

Quote from: Waterbury on January 05, 2010, 11:38:19 AM
BTW, the "official" device I was referring to is the CSY-2100. The ebay listing I posted shows a device that is basically the exact same, just generic with no branding or name. I searched the forums and I see that many people refer to no name converters on ebay, but all the old posts lead to listings that no longer exist, but they seem to be referring to the same device.

Unfortunately, since the device is no named, it is possible that different revisions of the device exist, and as it is a knock off, no guarantee.

Anyway, I found a CSY-2100 on ebay for $25 shipped, so I no longer have stake on how this particular device works. I'm curious though.  ???

The two common RGB to Component converters are the CSY-2100 and the CVS287.  I owned a CSY-2100, and while it works fine, I had purchased a Kramer FC-14 before purchasing my HDTV.   If you want top quality RGB to Component conversion, nothing beats the FC-14...  I find it funny those who purchase the Neo Bitz and JRock RGB to component converters.  Both of those are abisimal converters, yet are used for too many consolization of MVS boards.  The worst thing is that they use VRs, instead of exact resistors for RGB conversion.  In the end, unless Micomsoft releases a successor to the XRGB-3, don't even bother with anything else!  You're wasting your time with RGB to Component converters when it comes to HDTVs.... :S

Waterbury

Quote from: RGB32E on January 05, 2010, 03:23:19 PM
You're wasting your time with RGB to Component converters when it comes to HDTVs.... :S

Why is that? I just got a new HDTV which unfortunately does not have S-Video. The only other option I have is Composite which I'm sure everyone in this forum agrees is just unacceptable >:(.

RGB32E

Quote from: Waterbury on January 06, 2010, 09:11:07 AMWhy is that? I just got a new HDTV which unfortunately does not have S-Video. The only other option I have is Composite which I'm sure everyone in this forum agrees is just unacceptable >:(.

Sorry about that, I guess I was being a little harsh.  :P  I used the best RGB to component converter (Kramer FC-14) on my XBR8 for several months before switching to a XRGB-3.  The CVS287 you linked should work just fine and offer a better picture than S-Video.  It is important to use a high quality power supply, as the picture quality is dependent upon the quality of the power supply.   While there are better transcoders available, there are also much worse quality ones (JRok and NeoBitz are CRAP).

Forum member Eastbayarb bought a CVS287 about a year ago and seemed to be happy with the results (you need to buy a good quality AC adapter though):
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3580

So, a decent RGB to Component converter is a good place to start when connecting retro consoles to a HDTV.  For me - even with a high quality RGB to component converter and a HDTV that correctly recognizes and displays 240p, I still desired better PQ.  I only became satisfied when I bought a XRGB-3.  However, there's a considerable price difference ($50 vs $330).

Waterbury

Quote from: RGB32E on January 06, 2010, 10:48:51 AM
So, a decent RGB to Component converter is a good place to start when connecting retro consoles to a HDTV.  For me - even with a high quality RGB to component converter and a HDTV that correctly recognizes and displays 240p, I still desired better PQ.  I only became satisfied when I bought a XRGB-3.  However, there's a considerable price difference ($50 vs $330).

I agree but I got a CSY-2100 for even less, $25 so it's well worth any small imperfections. I'll see.  :D

lakeofblood

I bought what looks like one of those transcoders last year for use with my PAL Sega Dreamcast and whilst the general PQ looked good to me it had a distinct magenta bias. I could live with it   but wasn't satisfied so when I saw a used CSY2100 going dirt cheap I picked it up as well.

The CSY2100 had no noticeable colour bias but as far as general PQ goes I really couldn't detect any difference at all ie. they both display equally well on my JVC 32" WS CRT.

Here's the thing: since I now had a CSY2100 I decided to take the other one apart primarily to see if there was any way to mod it to correct the magenta bias. I'm in no way a DIY electronic expert but I know variable resistors when I see them. Using a small cross-head screwdriver I easily corrected out the magenta bias as well as anybody can by eye. It now matches the neutrality of the CSY2100 almost perfectly.

So now I have two matched SCART RGB to Component transcoders I'm both very happy with.

BTW being bought fvrom a UK seller the CSY2100 came with a UK 3-pin 9v 230v power supply. The imported (from the US) new, unbranded transcoder was supplied with a 2-pin 12v 230v PS + UK plug adapter. The latter's design makes it quite awkward to use in a standard UK power socket unless you use an appropriately sized additional double or triple plug socket converter as a spacer.